starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sq/DL Form Checks, Please

Default Sq/DL Form Checks, Please

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    44yo male, 6'0", ~215#

Looking for feedback on my squat and deadlift form, please.

One issue (among others) that I have had with the squat is going too deep. This morning at 320x5 I felt like I was searching on the descent for proper depth. To my eyes, at least a few of these seem too shallow, but then again I had been going too deep previously.... I got over my toes in third rep.
    VID_20190927_055304925.mp4 - Google Drive

Here's my deadlift from today, at 365x5:
    VID_20190927_062845195.mp4 - Google Drive

Here's my DL from this morning, 370x5 -- hopefully with video set up more properly this time: VID_20190930_063008142.mp4 - Google Drive

I was already locked in before I realized I forgot to put my belt on, so I decided to proceed without it. Either way, I know I need to keep fighting to keep my back from going into flexion.

And here is my son (17yo, 6'1", ~180#) with his DL this morning: VID_20190930_063326175.mp4 - Google Drive

New squat video will have to wait until Wednesday

Oh, and I got my own age wrong above. I'm actually 45 going on 46. Sheesh.

Hey.
    The issue with the squats is they're not below parallel. Gotta get to proper depth for a form check on the forums.

You set your back well on the first rep of the deadlift, but then you don't ever get is flat for the rest of the set. You're also rocking around on your feet while trying to set and pull. Get to your midfoot with the bar on your shins, STOP, then set the back without rocking around, then pull.
    Your son sets his back better, but wants to pull from his toes. He needs to rock back to midfoot before he starts pulling. Also, he's dropping his hips a bit to set the back and nudging the bar forward. Hips stay put when he sets the back. Keeping the hips in place and getting his weight back on midfoot should clean this up. Don't know what kind of shoes those are, but if they have a squishy sole I'd have him find something else to pull in.
    Good luck

Thank you, Pete. All very helpful.

I was afraid I over-corrected on the squats. Thanks for confirming. Will find better depth going forward.

I hear you re: my deadlifts. Biggest takeaway: Take your time! Take your time to set your back and pull properly. Will work on it.

Thank you, too, for your added comments re: my son's lift. Much appreciated!

--Eric

Here's my squat from this morning, 310x5:
    VID_20191002_055710091.mp4 - Google Drive

And here's is my son's, 295x5:
    VID_20191002_055841529.mp4 - Google Drive

Difficult workout today for me. I think from not enough sleep, the crazy heat in the gym (I was sweating like a hog), and my sense that I wasn't fully recovered after doing back to back heavy deadlifts Friday and Monday. As such, I had a much harder time than usual keeping balanced during my squats, and I completely failed, for the first time ever, getting even one top rep (at 165#) in my OH press.

Don't post high squats, even your son's.

Son's 275x5 this morning:
    VID_20191007_055327813.mp4 - Google Drive

Hey Bastiat - both you and your son should try to avoid squatting in front of the mirror, as it tends to mess up the hip drive. Can you see how his back angle is too vertical on rep #1? Additionally, he needs better overall tightness. Can you see how rep #4 had the best "bounce" in this set? This will be helped by him getting a little more narrow grip on the bar, hands more in contact with the bar - to produce a tighter shelf with his upper back. Finally, it appears he could be shoving his knees out more at the bottom.

starting strength coach development program
    Mostly fixed, do what Ryan said.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast