starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sq/DL Form Checks, Please

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Hey Bastiat - both you and your son should try to avoid squatting in front of the mirror, as it tends to mess up the hip drive.
    Thank you, Ryan. Unfortunately, we don't have choice re: the mirror with the racks and how they are situated in our gym. We try to focus our eyes on a spot on the floor maybe 4 feet in front of us.

Your advice is much appreciated. Thank you. We'll work on these things.

Quote Originally Posted by BastiatBB View Post
    Thank you, Ryan. Unfortunately, we don't have choice re: the mirror with the racks and how they are situated in our gym. We try to focus our eyes on a spot on the floor maybe 4 feet in front of us.

Your advice is much appreciated. Thank you. We'll work on these things.
    Aren't the hooks on the front side of the rack the same as the back? I think you can just face the other way, out towards the gym floor. Looking down obviously works as well as long as you can resist the urge to look in the mirror at any point

Deadlifts from yesterday:
    Gotta love the guy filling the video right as I start my 5th rep! Guess we'll need to find better location for my cameraman next time.

I have a theory regarding my lat engagement that I look forward to trying out next time. I've been focusing on pushing my belly b/w my thighs, but it just isn't enough for me. I thought I was engaging my lats hard before, but in experimenting afterwards yesterday, I think there is another level I'm just not getting to in really bracing them down with my whole core. Hopefully that helps keep me in greater back extension, especially as I get later into the set.

Deadlifts from yesterday:
    Gotta love the guy filling the video right as I start my 5th rep! Guess we'll need to find better location for my cameraman next time.

I have a theory regarding my lat engagement that I look forward to trying out next time. I've been focusing on pushing my belly b/w my thighs, but it just isn't enough for me. I thought I was engaging my lats hard before, but in experimenting afterwards yesterday, I think there is another level I'm just not getting to in really bracing them down with my whole core. Hopefully that helps keep me in greater back extension, especially as I get later into the set.
    Bastiat - feel free to use any cue you think may work to get your low back in extension. This vid may help:

YouTube

Your son's DL's look good. I like his finish on the 5th rep the best - standing tall with eyes forward

Ryan - it worked!

Here's our squats from today, both 280x5:
    Thank you for all your helpful advice.

Ryan - it worked!

Here's our squats from today, both 280x5:
    Thank you for all your helpful advice.
    So the only obvious problem with facing out from the rack is the camera angle being less than ideal. If you can still get a rear 45 view or close to it while facing out that is best. Maybe try to get the camera propped up close to the wall? For you - focus more on shoving your knees out hard. For your son - he still looks a little soft at the bottom. Big breath. Stay tight. I should be able to hear you breathe

Yes, there is no ideal set up here, but it's what we've got. To get video from behind, I'd need to set the phone about 3 feet beyond the mirror in order to get our full bodies in frame.

Thanks as always for your tips. Onward and upward!

Deadlifts from this morning:

I thought this was the best my boy's deadlift has ever looked. Surely not perfect, but so much better than it used to be. I managed to keep my back in better extension than I had been throughout most of the set (rep #4 was the worst), but still some more work to go to get it 100% there. I see I am nudging the bar forward with my shins, so will try be more conscious about avoiding that next time.

Nice work. Get in the habit of breathing only at the bottom. Otherwise solid!

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you, Ryan.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast