starting strength gym

Thread: More arm pain from squats

Default More arm pain from squats

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Coaches,

I have a troubled history with arm/elbow pain from squats. I thought I had it resolved, but when I hit 315, the pain started coming back. I attempted 360 today, and the pain was too much to continue. I think the problem is a small amount of shoulder inflexibility with long forearms. I can physically take a narrow grip (at the ring), but I get pain. If I widen it out, then I get still get pain, but in a different spot. If I'm "holding" the bar with my wrist, there is no pain, but obviously there is a stability/safety issue.

What are my options at this point? Bent wrists with wraps? High bar? Vicious massage?

Thanks guys...

Sebastian

Chinup protocol?

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    Chinup protocol?
    How would the chinup protocol help me get more comfortable under the bar? The pain goes away an hour or so after the work out.

Can you post a recent squat video where we can see the grip?

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Ohanian View Post
    How would the chinup protocol help me get more comfortable under the bar? The pain goes away an hour or so after the work out.
    I don’t know, have you tried it?

You mentioned before that the pec dec before squats reduced the pain. I think chinups are probably even more effective for stretching your elbows.

If the issue is tendonitis then the chin protocol may help - it worked for me. You may not need to do the whole protocol, but worth a shot to at least try warming up with some chins in between squat warmup sets.

Some people go thumb around the bar for issues like this as well.

Hi Coach,

Here are my warm-ups from today. I could not get the grip any more narrow because of inflammation (and I'm on day 4 of nsaids). I was unable to do any worksets.

Warm-up 1
    Warm-up 2
    Warm-up 3
    Warm-up 4
    Warm-up 5

I'm almost positive that the pain is coming from initial setup rather than the movement because I will have pain if I just unrack and re-rack.

Thanks for your help,

Sebastian

I had tried it in the past when I had tendinitis in the elbows, and it worked wonders. I am willing to try chin-ups prior to squatting and/or thumbs around. Thanks for the advice.

starting strength coach development program
    Hey Sebastian.
    You're letting your chest collapse, and the elbows crank up, as soon as you start the descent. When we say "point your chest at the floor" we're trying to get lifters to lean the torso over and send the hips back, but we don't want the upper back to flex and have people try to literally point their chest straight down at the ground. The elbows and upper back tend to be linked, meaning you'll see the elbows crank up when the upper back starts to round or deliberately cranking the elbows up may cause the upper back to come out of extension.

When you get under the bar, while it's still rack, lift your chest up to get the upper back in extension and pull the elbows down. If you keep the upper back tight when you unrack the bar, it should remain secure. Then, when you start the squat think about sending the hips back and leaning your torso over as entire segment rather than deliberately trying to point your chest at the ground. The torso lean comes from the hip.
    It's going to take some practice, but you'll have to learn to squat without cranking the elbows up. You can experiment with a thumbs-around grip and see if you can't keep the elbows down more consistently.
    The other issue is the bar placement doesn't look consistent. It's higher on your back for the last set than it is the first (correct position). The bar being too high will make it tough to keep the upper back tight.

Lastly, narrow your stance so your heels are under your shoulders.

Good luck!