starting strength gym

Thread: Newbie - squat check

Default Newbie - squat check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    YouTube

Four weeks into SS program and I've been struggling with depth (typically feels like I'm going too low). On this session tried to use a physical benchmark to cue proper depth but feel like I may be on the edge of not deep enough. Appreciate any/all feedback and critique.

Profile view:

Google Drive: Sign-in

Apologies - poor showing on first post (re: failed static profile view link).

Hopefully this works better - YouTube

In the event somebody is kind enough to check my form, I thought I'd post one more set of videos from yesterday's workout just to add to the sample size (I apologize for the multiple posts in my own thread - would just like to make the most of any feedback I may receive). Added weight and went an inch lower. Depending on the workout, I have multiple inconsistencies with the squat but am trying to hone in on depth.

Many thanks.

YouTube

YouTube

Such beautifully executed low bar squats that I've left the forum speechless?

So egregiously executed that my newbie squat is beyond repair and unfit for feedback and critique?

Felt like my second set of videos definitely hit depth and was hoping for some feedback.

If you're looking to start a list of dangerous stuff to use as a squat target, try a Swiss ball next. I kid, but I did start getting concerned when the paper towel roll started moving around.

Can you squat to depth without a target yet? My concern is that you're reaching for the target with your ass and it's causing you to sit more straight-down than reaching the hips back. Trying to address one problem may end up causing another.

Thanks Pete. Weeks 1-3 starting the program I didn't use any targets - the issue during that time was I felt I was going too low and getting stuck in the hole on occasion. When i went slightly higher i could feel a nice bounce reflex and the exercise felt better. Because of the significant emphasis on proper depth in the book and these forums ... I was really looking for a simple short term cue to confirm proper depth and, after having one of the experts on the forum review, maybe only use that for a week or two during warm ups as a means to reinforce proper depth until it becomes fully ingrained.

Based on your response, I'll assume depth is good. I video all my worksets so this will prove helpful as a depth baseline. I will work on the hips back moving forward and cant help but wonder if the "reaching with my ass" has been a contributor to the groin pain I've had the past couple workouts (non-existent previously).

Thanks again for the feedback - appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Not bad. Now spend some of that paper towel budget on a belt and proper lifting shoes.

Copy that Tiburon. Belt showed up this weekend and the proper shoes will hopefully be here by the end of the week. After recently informing my wife that an adult male weighs 200lb (I'm currently 172lb), she agreed that redirecting the paper towel budget to purchase these two pieces of equipment was appropriate (and wiser than the Swiss ball squat target I was considering).

starting strength coach development program
    I think shoes are going to do you wonders.