starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knee slide fixed?

Default Knee slide fixed?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey folks,

I posted a vid a couple of months ago with some pretty gnarly knee slide - Ive been working on it and hopefully these squats are acceptable. Last rep got away from me a bit. Sorry about the dark clothing, but I think the lighting is good enough to see.

YouTube

Thanks in advance!

Not sure if you've posted since, but it doesn't look like anyone responded to this.

You're trying to fix knee slide by keeping the knees back too long. So the hips are going back, and the knees aren't moving forward at the start. This creates new problems. First, you're starting the descent on your heels and then shifting forward as you hit the bottom. Next, you're just making the knees late to their home rather than actually getting them set. So they really never stop moving.
    Get midfoot, send the knees OUT at the same time you send the hips back. If you're leaning over soon enough, keep reaching your ass back, and stay off your toes, it should clean up the knee slide.

Thanks Pete!

I’ve been hitting some smoother reps lately by focusing harder on staying midfoot rather than worrying about what my knees are doing. I feel like I’m slightly more upright, but I’m not losing tension out of the hole. I may film today and post an update.

As always, thanks for your help. Reading your advice on most of the threads here has definitely helped me become a better lifter and coach!

Glad to hear. Post something when you get a chance and we'll take a look.

Progressed back up with 5x5s with a bit wider of a stance and focus on knees out and staying mid foot. Video is my 3rd set @395. It felt pretty good and I don’t think I’m showing knee slide anymore with the exception of a wonky 5th rep.

YouTube

Thoughts?

After watching some SSC lifters who I believe have a similar anthropometry to myself (wolf& lindley) I’m wondering if I should be more upright. Any opinions?

Hips are way ahead of knees. I think back angle is fine. Fix your sequence. Think “knees.”

Yeah, you have two things going on that I see.
    First, the timing of the hips and knees, like you pointed out. The knees getting home late can make it look like knee slide and shift everything forward of mid-foot.
    Then you're letting yourself get loose the last few inches into the hole. You're dropping in and the lack of tightness is going to make it harder to control your balance.

What do you do for your light day squat?

Thanks guys.

For light day i typically do 2 sets of 5 around 80% of heavy day. What do you suggest, Pete?

starting strength coach development program
    You could do 2-3x5 paused squats at about 65-70%. Don't get to count the pause until you're balanced on midfoot in the bottom. You'll be surprised how much faster you learn to get and stay midfoot rep after rep. And you can't "drop-in" if you're going to control the knees and not over-shoot depth. I use them sometimes with remote clients because they're a nice combination of punitive and corrective.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast