starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Knee slide fixed?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    For the love of god, tell me i’m starting to get it!

YouTube

Real awkward.

Better.
    Your ability to get to midfoot faster, and stay there while in the bottom, improved as you got deeper in the set. Which is what we're looking for.
    Could you feel yourself adjust your balance faster from the first rep to the last couple?

Indeed. I believe i was focusing a bit more on knees forward towards the end of the set.

I would describe the feeling as pushing knees forward to the limit of my ankle dorsiflexion and then pushing the hips back as i bend over more.

It currently feels like two separate movements that i need to smooth out into one. Real janky.

I think i may need to backoff a bit on the weight on my 5x5 and build up again, because this feels like a different kind of stress on my quads and knees.

Apart from the wrist action this looks very good. Keep the wrists straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
    Apart from the wrist action this looks very good. Keep the wrists straight.
    We'd like them to be, if possible. But we work to correct things in priority order. The priority being whatever is the greatest violation of the exercise selection criteria and the moment model of the lift. In his case, it's a shift in balance that I want to hammer first, and since the wrists aren't causing any real problems I'm not as concerned right now.

The wrist extension is intentional at the moment. I can squat with neutral wrists, but the bar sits better with a bit of wrist extension and I feel like i can maintain this position better throughout the set. Not sure if this is a hypertrophy issue, but as my shoulders get bigger the slight extension makes my squat feel better.

Are you staring at a target when you squat? Get a small plate or your car keys and put them on the floor where you’re supposed to look. Then focus intently in them as you squat and see if that doesn’t also help your balance and control.

There is a dot on the brick in front of me that i stare at. It would be roughly 4-5 in front of me if on the ground. I think my balance issues are related to a number of different injuries I’ve sustained from playing sports most of my life, but I don’t want to make excuses. I’ll adapt.

Heres the latest, Pete:

YouTube

Stayed at 365 to try and fix this shit. I feel like I’m staying tighter at the bottom, but it felt heavy. Started training BJJ again 2x/week and it’s already taking a toll.

My knees still travel forward throughout most of the squat, but i think my balance is better thanks to better control in the hole.

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah, still shifting to your toes on some of these. Are you still using pause squats on your light day? Have you tried TUBOW?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast