starting strength gym

Thread: Fingers in the Press Grip

Default Fingers in the Press Grip

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've found that I can squeeze the bar best by rotating my fingers 3-5 inward so that my middle finger sort of "hooks" around the index finger.

Since the bar rests on the palms, is there anything wrong with this? I have pretty large hands if that matters.

Hey Sebastian. Congrats on your large hands!

Not really following though. You rotate your fingers "3-5 inward"?
    Post a pic or video please.

I'd like to try to solve! Sebastian rotates fingers 3, 4, and 5 (middle + ring + pinky) inward. His large hands make it possible for him to rotate these 3 fingers without significantly rotating his index (2) finger, producing the result that the long middle finger "hooks" around the index.

Alas, my non-large hands prove unable to reproduce the phenomenon and I would second the request for a visual.

I'm confused about the why: is there a reason you don't also rotate your index finger in - or is this perhaps the only way you can crowd all of your fingers around the bar with the barbell in your palm?

Hi Pete,

yeah, I just realized my description was a bit silly.
    I'm actually just crossing my index and middle fingers, but I can grip a bit more secure this way.

I'm not sure if the grip is correct in the first place. The book says I should press my fingertips at the bar, but it feels a lot worse when I do that.

Yeah nevermind, my grip was wrong. I got it figured out now after watching some of your videos.