starting strength gym

Thread: Joe Heisey Squat Form Check Oct 1

Default Joe Heisey Squat Form Check Oct 1

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,
    I would appreciate a form check for this 360 lb set of 5. Failed the last rep.
    I can see that I start to look up as the weight gets heavy.
    I can also see that the bar is canted to the left. What is it that I can do about this?

YouTube

Sorry. Didn't realize the embed link wouldn't work.
    Last edited by Joe Heisey; 10-05-2019 at 07:45 AM.

Everything looks fine to me. Carry on.

You left handed or right handed?

Changed the embed link to a URL. Thanks.

Right-handed.

Hey Joe

I'd like to see you smooth out the descent and not "dive-bomb" into the hole. See the plates spinning? You'll be more likely to stay midfoot and not get on your toes in the bottom. It's subtle, but at circa-max loads, it's enough to mess you up. A little more lean a little sooner, and tightening up the descent should clean this up and help to keep you in balance.
    You started cutting off the depth later in the set too. May be time to amend the program.

As for the bar cant, it could be a number of things. Can't really tell for sure from this angle. For future form checks, I'd have you turn around in the rack so we can see what's going on from behind.

starting strength coach development program
    Pete,
    Thanks for the advice.
    I think the cause of the bar cant might be my shoulder flexibility- neither is very flexible and I had surgery on the right. In addition, I've been experiencing elbow pain in the left arm and maybe I'm trying to favor it by not stretching it out much. So I try to just be attentive but the weight gets heavy and...
    Re: the program, I switched to an HLM setup when I was squatting around 335x5. Not too long ago I squatted a smooth 355x5. The issue has been sticking to the plan. Still think I should amend? If so, how?
    I'll film from a rear quarter next time.