starting strength gym

Thread: Joe Heisey Press 1.5 Form Check Oct 3

Default Joe Heisey Press 1.5 Form Check Oct 3

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    YouTube

First attempt at a full-on press 1.5. Pressed 2.0 for a while and found it hard to keep tight while breathing at the bottom, so I started breathing at the top. However, I would still stop at the bottom instead of "bouncing" out of the bottom and utilizing the stretch reflex. This is 140 lb--10 pounds less than my previous 3x5, but I backed off to get the technique down.
    If the rack is too much in the way, please let me know and I'll adjust the angle next time.

I know there have been many amendments/new variations to the Press over the last few years but I believe the 1.5 only uses a hip reach on the 1st and 5th reps. You are still doing the hip reach on all reps

Gotcha. I'm going off this video (4:00).
    YouTube
    If the hip reach uses more muscle, wouldn't it be most beneficial to keep it in all reps?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Heisey View Post
    Gotcha. I'm going off this video (4:00).
    YouTube
    If the hip reach uses more muscle, wouldn't it be most beneficial to keep it in all reps?
    Like I said there has been lots of experimenting with Press technique over the past few years. I personally feel like inhaling on the way down or at the top and reaching forward with the hips is less efficient(and possibly more irritating to the low back) than reaching the hips forward with a big held breath and then Pressing(2.0). I'm a 2.0 guy, but other coaches will have other opinions. When Wolf first "invented" the 1.5 there was a hip reach only on the 1st and 5th reps so even that has changed now apparently.

Gotcha, thanks. Until the last few workouts, I was breathing at the top like 1.5 but pausing at the bottom to reset and tighten up, more like 2.0. It seemed to work pretty well. I'll take your suggestion and try doing it without hip reach on the middle reps for a few workouts and see what seems to fit.
    In addition, this is a good time to mention that I've had left elbow pain for a while. First it was medial and was aggravated by squats and sometimes chins. I worked a lot on my squat grip and that area no longer hurts; however, now it has migrated to the outside of my elbow and near the point of the elbow, and is now aggravated by pressing, though not much. Do you think it's something with my form?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Heisey View Post
    Gotcha, thanks. Until the last few workouts, I was breathing at the top like 1.5 but pausing at the bottom to reset and tighten up, more like 2.0. It seemed to work pretty well. I'll take your suggestion and try doing it without hip reach on the middle reps for a few workouts and see what seems to fit.
    In addition, this is a good time to mention that I've had left elbow pain for a while. First it was medial and was aggravated by squats and sometimes chins. I worked a lot on my squat grip and that area no longer hurts; however, now it has migrated to the outside of my elbow and near the point of the elbow, and is now aggravated by pressing, though not much. Do you think it's something with my form?
    Tough to say. Elbows are tricky. Not usually aggravated by the Press