starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Failure 90 kgf (198 lbs) x 4

Default Squat Failure 90 kgf (198 lbs) x 4

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Yes, I have read the sticky. And yes, I have violated almost every video guideline - dark pants, shitty camera angle, posting only a single video and it is not a 45 degree perspective view, 2nd set and not the 3rd, a towel obstructing the view, partial frame, and so on.

But hey, listen. My gym does not permit videography (Changing the gym is not an option - I can't afford another membership). I shot this video at the risk of getting expelled if found out. I did this at an opportune moment when the trainers were elsewhere and the squat rack area was nearly deserted, except for a Bro bouncing and twisting and wriggling on a swiss ball right in front of me (he is not in the frame). And what you can see is the best camera position (on a tyre flip machine next to the rack) and angle I could manage in a hurry during my clandestine operation.

Here is the short story. I am 5'4", 70 kgf (154 lbs), 38 years, Male. 9th week of NLP. Started the squats at 45 kgf (99 lbs). Now stalled at 90 kgf (that is just 1.28 times my bodyweight). Today was my third attempt at this weight and I managed 4, 4, and 3 reps respectively. Here is the long story: Am I an Advanced Novice in just 9 weeks?

Here is the 2nd set of 4 reps (I could not shoot the third set, which might have been really comical to watch. The trainers were back in the room by then).

YouTube

Of course, I have read the book. And yes, my technique is not perfect. Here is what my novice eye could infer:

1) Wrist extension. I am using a thumbless grip, but I extend my wrists and weight was supported by the palms. Stupid me. I have noticed this for the first time.
    2) Looking up occasionally as I come up. I don't generally do this, but today I was distracted by the gym bro on the swiss ball who was only a few feet in front of me.
    3) I am using a 4" belt instead of a 3" one (I am custom making a 3" belt and it is still with the cobbler Custom making a 3" belt). But I am okay with 4" belt for the squat, but perhaps I can do better with a 3" one. (I deadlift with a cheap 3" velcro belt).

You are free to deride me for posting an atrocious video. But any technical input / feedback will be immensely helpful.

Note: Since I have failed thrice at 90 kgf, I am planning to reset to 80 kgf. I have already upped my calories, protein and caffein intake as suggested by Rip in the Programming Forum.

Do you use fractional plates? I'm wondering if you're no longer to able to increase weight at the same rate that you used to.

Definitely not an ideal camera angle. It seems like you are closing your eyes? Don't do that. Look down and keep your eyes there(and open). Some of the reps are definitely too low. This also does not look like a true failed last rep

How much body weight have you gained in 9 weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by keengkong View Post
    Do you use fractional plates? I'm wondering if you're no longer to able to increase weight at the same rate that you used to.
    I am not microloading the squats as recommended by Rip, Andy Baker and others in videos / forums. I have fractional plates, right up to 150 grams (2" washers) and I use 1.25 kg increment (~2.4 lbs) for the pressing exercises.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Definitely not an ideal camera angle. It seems like you are closing your eyes? Don't do that. Look down and keep your eyes there(and open). Some of the reps are definitely too low. This also does not look like a true failed last rep
    No, I am not closing my eyes. It looks so due to the camera angle.

I had always thought this was the correct depth as I was getting the stretch reflex. Should I stop 1" higher than this?

Why do you say that it was not a failed rep? I just could not go up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    7 kgs (15.4 pounds). I went from 63 kgf to 70 kgf.

Thank you everyone for the inputs.

Quote Originally Posted by PuliMorgan View Post

Why do you say that it was not a failed rep? I just could not go up.
    Because the first 4 reps moved fine. On the 5th rep you started to go up, then went down a little, then went back up more, then finally down again. That does not happen on a failed rep. You had the strength/ability to do that 5th rep on that set. But it did not happen for whatever reason

Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    Update: 71 kgf (156 lbs) as on today. That is 8 kg (17.6 lbs) gain in 9.5 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Because the first 4 reps moved fine. On the 5th rep you started to go up, then went down a little, then went back up more, then finally down again. That does not happen on a failed rep. You had the strength/ability to do that 5th rep on that set. But it did not happen for whatever reason
    Hmmm, do you mean to say the failure is due to the psychological reasons than the physiological ones?

The previous set was also 4 reps. The final set was only 3 reps. You might have found the real reason if I could record all 3 sets. I am planning to speak to the gym owner for the permission to record my squats without violating the privacy of others.

Just one more doubt: I reset my squat to 80 kgf today and it was too easy. Now, should I try 90 kgf again on Monday just to see if I can get it if I don't go as deep as I used to go? Or is it better to take the things slow and continue the reset plan with 82.5 kgf?

Fyi the no filming policy in corporate gyms is so that annoying “influencers” aren’t in there doing videos every day for their instagram and violating the privacy of anyone who might be in the background.

Also, its to safeguard against perverts.

If you’re just filming your sets without anyone in the background i doubt they’ll say anything. If they do then it’s probably a new employee who doesn’t understand the reason for the policy. If that is the case, request permission to film from the general manager.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    Fyi the no filming policy in corporate gyms is so that annoying “influencers” aren’t in there doing videos every day for their instagram and violating the privacy of anyone who might be in the background.

Also, its to safeguard against perverts.

If you’re just filming your sets without anyone in the background i doubt they’ll say anything. If they do then it’s probably a new employee who doesn’t understand the reason for the policy. If that is the case, request permission to film from the general manager.
    Yes, I understand that. I can also understand the gym management's problem in allowing even one person to film the workout - they will have then problem in saying NO to others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast