starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    35 years old, 5'7", 189lbs. Shout-out to Soule who gave some helpful grip advice on a previous post. [I'm not sure I've got my act together - and he can't really be held responsible for the current state of the grip in this video - but his tip sure has improved how some things feel].

Third set of 5 @ 215 lbs.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Grip needs work still. Wrist is too extended and your elbow are still high. Here you go:
    YouTube

Need a better camera angle to see what your back angle looks like.

Yes, please do fix that grip. Additionally, widen your stance a bit and point your toes out. Shove your knees out HARD to keep them over the toes. Take a couple inches off the depth

Appreciate the feedback. This article [ ]Starting Strength seems to describe exactly what I'm facing (minus the fact that it's not caused by me thinking "elbows up"). As the weights go up, I'm noticing trouble with the bar wanting to roll. I recently stumbled upon this glorious gem [youtube: proper grip in the squat] - seriously, how have I not found this one before!? My right clavicle had a bad break 5 years ago, repaired with a metal bracket, and it has been difficult to get it to go to the places the Low-Bar Grip requires. Next session I'm going to find a weight where my wrists are as straighter/elbows lower, and work up sets from there trying to keep them that way.

Soule: Any recommendations on camera angle?

Ryan: Would you mind a follow-up question re: depth? - Was it mostly the (very low) fifth rep that needs correcting, or do the earlier ones needs to come up as well? (When I first started out, all of reps looked like the fifth one and I've managed to slowly bring them up to look like ~reps 1-4).

Thank you.

Fix the stance/knees first and see where you end up with the depth. And if you want extra credit - focus on keeping your low back in extension(like you do in the "squeeze" part of the Deadlift)