starting strength gym

Thread: Squat-are my hips shooting too far back creating potential lower back issues?

Default Squat-are my hips shooting too far back creating potential lower back issues?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello. Can you please take a look at the attached squat video? I was in the middle of my squats and one of the trainers (I'm not his client; he just happened to be looking in my direction) said that my hips were shooting back excessively, which was putting strain on my lower back, and asked that I re-rack the bar ASAP (perhaps my back was going to explode and make a mess).

Are you seeing that as well? Also, he stopped my previous set because he said my chin was all over the place (not tucked), which is why I do that weird chin thing at the beginning because it was in my head.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

***NOTE: I know that this is not 5 reps and three sets, but because I was sternly ordered to rack the weight, I thought it was acceptable to post the short video here for comments.***

Thanks.

YouTube

Did you ask this guy for advice or was this unsolicited feedback?

I wouldn't call it excessive and it's certainly not something I would stop a set for. There are a few things you can do to address your squat in general.
    First, you don't seem to be taking a big breath and bracing before each rep. See any information on the site about the Valsalva and then do that to keep the back from wiggling around.
    Second, lean over a bit sooner than you think you need to. The shift back may be partly because you're coming down forward of midfoot and the body is getting itself back over it's COB.
    Lastly, keep your knees pinned out as you ascend. Shove them out on the way down and keep them shoved out on the way up. That will help to anchor the back angle and keep the hips from potentially shooting back.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Did you ask this guy for advice or was this unsolicited feedback?

Pete-- thanks for the constructive feedback. I will try those tips.

Also, the advice from the trainer was unsolicited.

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Pete-- thanks for the constructive feedback. I will try those tips.

Also, the advice from the trainer was unsolicited.
    You're welcome. I would just ignore him next time or politely tell him "thank you but FO".

Also, consider getting a belt.