starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check- AP

Default Squat Form Check- AP

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    32 year old male, 165lbs. Restarting the program after a multi-year layoff. Started with unloaded bar and progressed to 115lbs today (11th workout- 4th week in @ 3x/ week). Still pretty far from my PR of 215lb squat but hoping to get there and beyond. This time around, also been dealing with some knee pain on the outside of the right knee (lateral) most likely due to an ITB issue. Hence why I'm taking it slow with the progression on squats. Knee hasn't really impacted my Deadlifts (at 215lbs) or OHP/Bench.

Wanted to get your impressions on squat depth, stance, speed (am I going down too fast?), back angle- to make sure I'm on the right track.

Here's a video on my 175lb squat from circa 2014 for reference. Did not encounter any knee pain during this period. (Apologize this video is from the opposite side from the video above. Rack at current gym is against a wall limiting videos from right side only)

Thank you. This website and the SSBBT book have been a tremendous resource.

Please, for the love of all that is holy, slow down. A lot.
    I thought I had accidentally hit 2x speed on youtube. You also need to get leaned over more so your weight is midfoot in the bottom and not on your toes. It would be easier to stay balanced on midfoot if you didn't drop it like it's hot every rep.
    Let's start with those two things, akpak.

You are supposed to look down.

Thank you for the feedback! Regarding speed- will consciously try to slow down. This also prompted me to re-read the section in SSBBT: sounds like going too fast is indicative of a lack of muscle tightness in the descent, which I obviously don't want. So will be more conscious of getting and staying tight throughout and also slowing down without compromising the reflex/bounce at the bottom too much.

Regarding your comment about leaning over:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Please, for the love of all that is holy, slow down. A lot.
    You also need to get leaned over more so your weight is midfoot in the bottom and not on your toes. .
    IF I'm currently putting weight on toes wouldn't leaning over exacerbate this i.e. push the weight further forward? Am I thinking of this wrong?

Thanks again.

Also- general question on link format when posting videos- I used the "insert video" formatting button when pasting the link. This seems to embed a thumbnail of the video, rather than just a link.
    Just want to make sure that's ok since my post seems to be the exception. Should I just post the link (without "insert video" button) so it doesn't embed the video within the post?

Quote Originally Posted by akpak View Post
    IF I'm currently putting weight on toes wouldn't leaning over exacerbate this i.e. push the weight further forward? Am I thinking of this wrong?
    It may seem counterintuitive, but when you realize the only way to get off your toes and in balance is to send your hips back further, and the best way to do that is to lean over more, it should click.
    The back, thigh, and shank are all segments that are linked together, so the angle of one joint will have an effect on the angle of another joint in they system.

I'm not bothered either way how you link the video here. A simple link looks cleaner and makes everything easier to read IMO.