starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check 10/15/19

Default Squat Form Check 10/15/19

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Squatting @ 175 last working set.

I posted the setup to verify I am doing this correctly. I had seen Pete T a few months back at an SS Squat Camp. I didn't have an issue with the grip at the time but what has been setting me back is the rack in my gym. I have to set the bar lower due to the rack height positions and as a result have had difficulty getting the bar in the proper position and was experiencing the bar roll up and just a general instability of the bar. This has been the main issue for my set backs. I think I finally fixed it.

YouTube

What's up GC? I hope you're brother is still training as well.

You're starting with the bar in the right spot, but your upper back is going soft on you and the elbows are creeping up as you descend. See the plates spinning back and forth?
    Get your chest up so the upper back is in right extension and keep the elbows down. Squeezing the scaps together or thinking about putting your elbows in your back pockets may help keep them pinned in place.
    Each rep go through the same routine. Lift the chest, keep the elbows in place, big breath, brace and squat.
    Work on that and let us know how it goes. Good to see you're still at it.

Pete!! He is! Little bro just hit 3 wheels for 5 recently. Come back to NYC soon!

Thanks for the input. Here is a follow up video I took today @ 185. I still see it happening a bit. I will keep in mind about the elbows. It also looks like my right wrist tends to flex also. Not sure if that's because of the elbows flaring a bit.

YouTube

Oh wow. Tell him I said hello and nice work!

Upper back still needs to get tight. As you setup to unrack, lift the chest up and think about wrapping your upper back over the bar. There's a little bit of wrist flexion as your elbows come up.
    Before every rep at the top you'll have to think about lifting the chest to get the upper back reset and tight.
    Or, think about it this way...how can you set up and squat while keeping the plate perfectly still and not spinning?
    Does that make sense?