starting strength gym

Thread: Squat 105kg (3rd set) & deadlift 142.5kg

Default Squat 105kg (3rd set) & deadlift 142.5kg

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Squat: YouTube

I put the bar slightly higher on the back than before in order to get a suitably narrow grip, with straighter wrists, which also doesn't cause pain along my left forearm.

Deadlift: YouTube

Up to and including 140kg, I could get to rep #4 with one huge breath - but here I just seemed to run out of juice, so I'm going to re-do 142.5kg.

Thanks in advance.

What's the problem ? Lifts look pretty good-stance a bit wide for me, but that doesn't mean it's wrong. Why 'one huge breath' on DL ? Just take a breath at the bottom.

Hi Matt,

re: Squat
    Are you sure of your depth? Camera angle notwithstanding, a couple of reps might be a bit high, at least imho.

IPB

Hey Matt. I only looked at the squat. The issue with the bar being higher is you're not able to lean over, and your hip drive is suffering. You're also going to have to work harder to keep the bar from rolling up, which tends to lead to other issues over time. Was there a reason you prioritized a narrower grip over the bar beneath the spines of the scaps?
    Stance is wider than I'd put you and the depth looks iffy. If you get your heels under your shoulders, I think depth will come consistently without issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Hey Matt. I only looked at the squat. The issue with the bar being higher is you're not able to lean over, and your hip drive is suffering. You're also going to have to work harder to keep the bar from rolling up, which tends to lead to other issues over time. Was there a reason you prioritized a narrower grip over the bar beneath the spines of the scaps?
    Stance is wider than I'd put you and the depth looks iffy. If you get your heels under your shoulders, I think depth will come consistently without issue.
    With the bar lower down, in its proper low bar position, I simply couldn't get a decently close, thumbless grip around the bar without hyper-extending my wrists. Left side being affected worse than the right. When the weight was light, this only caused a little niggling tendonitis type pain in my left elbow joint. Now the weight has gone up, the bar bears right down on my left wrist and it causes a distracting ache along my forearm which I can just about handle for my last set of squats - but after I rack it, I'm unable to close my grip properly for a good 15 mins and have to sit there massaging and pounding on my forearm and wrist like a madman before I can even think about moving onto my presses.

Your comments confirmed what I thought was wrong with my form - the bar did indeed roll up my back on a few reps. Found it more difficult to point my nipples to the floor. Pushing up with my legs rather than hips.

I read a comment about buying wrist wraps and going for a thumb-around grip, but this seems like a last resort. Do you have any recommendations for fixing this? Thanks.

Let's see you try the low bar position, Matt. You can't be far off from being able to do it correctly based on what I can see from the video you showed. Show a video of your position and how well you can hold it in the correct spot in a set.

How much effort have you put into developing your position? Getting there starts from the chest and works out - chest up, shoulder blades tight, upper arm back, lower arm, hand/wrist. Have you tried using Paul Horn's approach?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Let's see you try the low bar position, Matt. You can't be far off from being able to do it correctly based on what I can see from the video you showed. Show a video of your position and how well you can hold it in the correct spot in a set.

How much effort have you put into developing your position? Getting there starts from the chest and works out - chest up, shoulder blades tight, upper arm back, lower arm, hand/wrist. Have you tried using Paul Horn's approach?
    I tried Paul Horn's stretching routine and I definitely noticed a little improvement - so I'll continue with it. Compared to my right side, my left shoulder/arm is really inflexible! I've always found it quite difficult to un-rack and begin with a "chest up" position and feel stooped over... and that's possibly because I've always had the bar too high and therefore not aligned with my mid-foot?

This is my 3rd set of 110kg from last night and, after the Paul Horn stretch for about 5 mins, I was able to get the bar a bit lower without cranking my left wrist backwards into the danger zone. It still feels & looks higher on the back than it should be, and I know my wrist isn't straight... but there was no pain at all, which was a huge relief. Reps 1 & 2 felt a lot better than my effort in the previous video. If you are able to see an improvement here, I'll be very happy to dedicate more time to stretching my arms and shoulders like this. Thanks!

YouTube