starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift lower back set check

Default Deadlift lower back set check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,
    The 3 inch starting strength belt arrived finally, and today i tried it in the deadlift.
    I closed it pretty tight, and i wanted to ask how is the lower back set is?
    I "shoved my belly between the thighs" as much as i could.
    This is the set:
    YouTube
    Zeev

Hey Zeev
    Having a belt too tight for the deadlift can sometimes mess with your ability to feel if you're getting the back set properly. You could try a hole looser. You seem to be able to get it flat, but you're not actually getting all of the slack out of the bar in the process, so the back isn't going to stay in extension when you break it off ground. When you set the back, the arms should get pulled taught and you should feel most of the weight in your hands before you go to pull it.
    The other issues that are affecting the lumbar extension are that you're a bit too close to the bar and you're pulling it around your knees. Rather than use you're quads to break it off the ground, you're trying to open the hips to get it going. Set up a quarter inch further from the bar, and get it in the same spot for every rep. Then, stay out over the bar as you break it off the ground by extending the knees. Then bring the hips to the bar as it passes your knee rather than trying to lean back behind it like you are. Hips and knees both should be locked out at the top.

Ok.
    Next deadlift session i will wear the belt one hole looser, and i will fix the pull itself.

Hi,
    I deloaded the deadlift and working on relearning the movment as you said(I am setting up and i am reminding to myself just to push the floor away from me and then lock hops and knees together).
    Also, I am wearing the belt 2 holes loser from very thight hole(this felt better in the set up process).
    How is the deadlift looks now?
    If the angle shitty, i will refilm it next workout:
    YouTube

Thanks.

Can you film from the front 45 and higher up so we can see your shins and feet?

When you squeeze the chest up to set the back in extension, you should be pulling all of the "slack" out of the bar with your arms so that when you break it off the ground your back stays in extension. You should "feel" like most of the weight is in your hands if you've done it right.

Film another from that angle the next time you deadlift and we'll see what else needs to be tweaked. I suspect that you're setup a little too close to the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Can you film from the front 45 and higher up so we can see your shins and feet?

When you squeeze the chest up to set the back in extension, you should be pulling all of the "slack" out of the bar with your arms so that when you break it off the ground your back stays in extension. You should "feel" like most of the weight is in your hands if you've done it right.

Film another from that angle the next time you deadlift and we'll see what else needs to be tweaked. I suspect that you're setup a little too close to the bar.
    Pete,
    I filmed myself today in the deadlift in different angles here are the videos:

YouTube

YouTube

YouTube

YouTube

YouTube

workset:
    https://youtu.be/N1qWKtdMSgY

Most of these are from the exact same angle with the exception of one.
    Going forward all we want to see is one work set of 5 at the front 45 degree angle.

You're set up too close to the bar. Back up a half inch.

Ok, thanks for the fast reply.
    I think i will mesure 1 inch with meter next time so i will see the correct foot placement.

To be clear, the "one inch" is a guideline and the actual placement may be closer or further depending on the lifter. Setup a cm further back than you normally would and make note of where the bar is crossing your shoes.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    To be clear, the "one inch" is a guideline and the actual placement may be closer or further depending on the lifter. Setup a cm further back than you normally would and make note of where the bar is crossing your shoes.
    Hi,
    I filmed myself again from the front 45 degree angle as you asked:
    this is from the privious deaslift workout (workset):
    YouTube

and this is from today:
    YouTube

How it looks?
    I also changed the shoes i am deadlifting with(I was using allstar converse) and now i am using flat adidas shoes, because thouse feels much tighter on the foot and bring more support in force transmition.
    Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast