starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Check

Default Deadlift Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I haven't been able to progress due to general low back soreness. After a few warm up sets my low back is so tight I feel like I can barely move. Anything standing out in my form that could be causing this? I’ve been doing a 4 day split with 2 heavy sets of 3, and the 5 sets of 3 for volume on the other deadlift day.

YouTube

Looks to me like you could extend your knees earlier. Think about pushing the floor away at the start.

May also be time to rotate some of the deadlift variations in on your 2nd pull day if recovery is still an issue. Rack pull, halting deadlift, etc.

Nothing too glaring here. Squeeze could be a little better. Agree with Soule there could be a programming issue. But I'd also be curious to see what your Squat looks like and what the programming is for that

Thanks for the feedback.

Ryan, I apologize for the ignorance but I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "the squeeze could be a little better". Are you talking about squeezing my chest up better to start it?

As for programming, I've been doing the a similar split with squats. One day I do 5 sets of 5 for volume, and then do one top set of 5 on the other lower body day. So last week I squatted 375x5x5 on Tuesday, and came back and hit 455x1x5 on Friday. I am wondering, since the weight is getting up there, that maybe this is too much stress in one week? Link below for recent squat.

YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by qnrtc View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.

Ryan, I apologize for the ignorance but I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "the squeeze could be a little better". Are you talking about squeezing my chest up better to start it?

As for programming, I've been doing the a similar split with squats. One day I do 5 sets of 5 for volume, and then do one top set of 5 on the other lower body day. So last week I squatted 375x5x5 on Tuesday, and came back and hit 455x1x5 on Friday. I am wondering, since the weight is getting up there, that maybe this is too much stress in one week? Link below for recent squat.

YouTube
    Yes. Step 4. A refresher is here:

The Deadlift: Perfect Every Time
    1. Take your stance, feet a little closer than you think it needs to be and with your toes out more than you like. Your shins should be about one inch from the bar, no more. This places the bar over the mid-foot – the whole foot, not the mid-instep.

2. Take your grip on the bar, leaving your hips up. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR.

3. Drop your knees forward and out until your shins touch the bar. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR.

4. Hard part: squeeze your chest up as hard as you can. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR. This establishes a "wave" of extension that goes all the way down to the lumbar, and sets the back angle from the top down. DO NOT LOWER YOUR HIPS – LIFT THE CHEST TO SET THE BACK ANGLE.

5. Squeeze the bar off the floor and drag it up your legs in contact with your skin/sweats until it locks out at the top. If you have done the above sequence precisely as described, the bar will come off the ground in a perfectly vertical path. All the slack will have come out of the arms and hamstrings in step 4, the bar will not jerk off the ground, and your back will be in good extension. You will perceive that your hips are too high, but if you have completed step 4 correctly, the scapulas, bar, and mid-foot will be in vertical alignment and the pull will be perfect. The pull will seem "shorter" this way.

For now I would say to switch the Volume DL day to a light day(2 sets of 5 @75-80% or so), and lower your Squat Volume a bit - maybe 350x5x5 next week. For the DL(and also the Squat) if you are doing too many reps every week with your back not quite all the way in extension, your back will start to hurt. Would like to see a set of 5 of your Squat

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by qnrtc View Post
    I haven't been able to progress due to general low back soreness. After a few warm up sets my low back is so tight I feel like I can barely move. Anything standing out in my form that could be causing this? I’ve been doing a 4 day split with 2 heavy sets of 3, and the 5 sets of 3 for volume on the other deadlift day.

YouTube
    Is that a homemade barbell jack you've got there in the background? work okay?