starting strength gym

Thread: Bench and press form check (shoulder pain)

Default Bench and press form check (shoulder pain)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have been having some shoulder pain (both sides) for a long time now, I notice it in daily life with certain random movements, although I can never seem to reproduce the pain, it just happens randomly. The pain is almost never felt during a lift. The only two things that seem to consistently cause pain are picking something up from the floor with one arm (like a bag), and pushing my arm laterally against a wall.

I figure it has to come from either my bench or my press, so I would greatly appreciate some input.

Nothing severe that I see on your Press. Might be pushing it back behind your head, but tough to tell from this angle. Be sure you go straight up and down with the bar.

You are probably bringing the bar too low down your torso. Aim for highest point of your chest instead, or nipple line. Probably about an inch closer to your face.

Quote Originally Posted by BastiatBB View Post
    Nothing severe that I see on your Press. Might be pushing it back behind your head, but tough to tell from this angle. Be sure you go straight up and down with the bar.

You are probably bringing the bar too low down your torso. Aim for highest point of your chest instead, or nipple line. Probably about an inch closer to your face.
    Thank you, I will pay attention to the press.

I bring the bar down so low because I want to be absolutely sure to avoid impingement.

Your grip needs work on both of these lifts. You should feel the weight supported more towards the hypothenar eminance of your palm with a correct pressing grip.

Main culprit is likely from what bastiatBB pointed out about your elbows being behind the bar at the bottom of your bench press.

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    Your grip needs work on both of these lifts. You should feel the weight supported more towards the hypothenar eminance of your palm with a correct pressing grip.

Main culprit is likely from what bastiatBB pointed out about your elbows being behind the bar at the bottom of your bench press.
    Thank you, so there’s a good chance thats what causing shoulder issues?

Agree with the grip critique. For the press you only want about 10-15 degrees of extension (backward bend) on the wrists and the elbows up. Not sure what's going on with your head. Keep your chin up and think about pushing your chest forward rather than your head as the bar passes the forehead.

Your grip is too narrow for the bench and you're touching way too low. And as someone else pointed out, your elbows are behind the bar in the bottom. Aim for about the nipple line like Bastia mentioned.
    Check out the bench and press tutorials on our YouTube channel about setting the correct grips.

With regard to pain, you'd need to be more specific about where it is and what it feels like.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Agree with the grip critique. For the press you only want about 10-15 degrees of extension (backward bend) on the wrists and the elbows up. Not sure what's going on with your head. Keep your chin up and think about pushing your chest forward rather than your head as the bar passes the forehead.

Your grip is too narrow for the bench and you're touching way too low. And as someone else pointed out, your elbows are behind the bar in the bottom. Aim for about the nipple line like Bastia mentioned.
    Check out the bench and press tutorials on our YouTube channel about setting the correct grips.

With regard to pain, you'd need to be more specific about where it is and what it feels like.
    Thanks for your input. I will work on this and post another form check later. Could the forearm angle on the bench press be sufficient reason to give shoulder problems?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by gadsie View Post
    Thanks for your input. I will work on this and post another form check later. Could the forearm angle on the bench press be sufficient reason to give shoulder problems?
    Possibly, but you're vague about your shoulder pain/problems. It would be helpful if you were more specific.