starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check Request

Question Squat Form Check Request

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Doing my novice LP right now; visited the Squat Workshop when Starting Strength Houston opened and Josh Wells coached me and instructed me to drop down in weight and work up from there.
    Just hit 315 yesterday and it seemed a good milestone to get others' input on form. (sorry about the belly showing; I should have worn a longer shirt)
    Is there a way to "ping" another user on here? I'd like to get Josh's feedback in particular oh how well I kept his instructions and SS Houston is a bit of a drive to go ask in person

Video - skwat.mp4 - Google Drive

First time posting a thread; please let me know if there is etiquette about posting that I'm not observing. Thank you in advance.

Aristotle: a question: what is the most common problem we see in squat videos like this? Look at the ones I've commented on, read my articles, and report back.

Mr. Rippetoe,

Recalling your bolded comment on the pinned "read this first" post here on the technique section, my first guess was that my depth was too shallow and I wasn't breaking parallel.
    I'm aware of the criteria (crease of the hips just below the top of the patella) and the anatomical/mechanical reasons for it.
    However, I do seem to be meeting this criteria, and Coach Wells also instructed that I was going several inches past parallel in my session with him. So I assume depth is not the problem - please let me know if I'm wrong.

I checked over the squat-related threads from the first 3 pages and some of your articles. Going by yours' and Pete's feedback, and particularly this quote from an article in March, I think I know what you're getting at-
    The most common problem in videos submitted for technical critique is a back angle in the squat that is not nearly horizontal enough to be efficient.
    So this is my answer to your question; the most common problem is that of a fairly vertical back angle, and I am guilty of it as well.
    My spine is only 45° to the floor on my best reps, and going by the diagram on the cover of the blue book sitting 3 feet to my right, it should be more like 30° from the horizontal.
    I thought I was horizontal "enough". Clearly not.

Assuming this is it, I'll reread the relevant articles and the section of the book and make the back angle the next aspect of my squat to improve.
    Thank you for your feedback, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Aristotle: a question: what is the most common problem we see in squat videos like this? Look at the ones I've commented on, read my articles, and report back.
    Rip is using the Socratic Method on Aristotle.

If you bend over more your hips will be forced back putting you more over your mid foot keeping you off of your toes. think about getting your hips back and your chest in between your thighs. Focus on that for now. I used to train there as well and i promise ss houston is worth the drive. Hope that helped. Read more in depth in the book and continue to post.

starting strength coach development program
    Also make sure you are placing the bar in the right spot on the back. Can't tell from the vid