starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Form checks - Squat, DL & Press

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey, thanks for the feedback!

Regarding the press, I worked with 45 Kgs on friday focusing on thightening my armpits, straightening my wrists and getting my elbows on the front, overall it was better than before. In the 2nd set I felt the need to keep my neck still for like 10/15 seconds until something in there decompres and then I moved it without feeling any ache. The not too good thing is that I got my back on extension on the middle of the set while trying to lift the bar over the middle of the lift and it got tired for the deadlift. Maybe it has to do with not squeezing my abs hard enough? I haven't put enough attention on them on the press as I have done on the other lifts. Will squeeze my abs harder as well as my quads and work on the hip action (which, i felt to need to squeeze this last workout)

On the wrists, I noticed I have more flexibility on my left wrist and remembered I had it dislocated when I was 12. Not sure if it has something to do, but I was really focused on the wrists angle and it wasn't easy as when I saw the videos it was still bent.Will see how it goes with my index finger on the smooth and knurling transition, so far I've been putting my thumb in there.

Regarding deadlift, I tried squeezing my lats which was not good at all. It took my focus from the abs. Engaging the lats is not the same as squeezing them, isn't it? I think I read in some article that the lats should be used to keep the bar in touch with the body. Will try to get a little bit further from the bar and get my back set correctly while squeezing my abs.

Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Regarding deadlift, I tried squeezing my lats which was not good at all. It took my focus from the abs. Engaging the lats is not the same as squeezing them, isn't it? I think I read in some article that the lats should be used to keep the bar in touch with the body. Will try to get a little bit further from the bar and get my back set correctly while squeezing my abs.
    Forget about "squeezing the lats" for now and focus on fixing the start position. Fixing the start position will clean up other things downstream.
    Then focus on getting the back set into rigid extension and keeping the bar on your legs.

Good luck.

Hi, reporting back!

On the press, it went much better. 47,5kgs seemed easier in contrast with the latest workouts, also I had no neck/traps problems at all . I went with a closer grip (index on the smooth and knurling transition), got my elbows in front, tightened my armpits, squeezed my abs and quads while trying to incorporate the hip action letting my hips go forward and leaning a little with my back at the start. I stopped focusing on feeling the weight on my toes for the hip action.
    Regarding the wrist still no improvement, yet the unique moment I felt some pressure was when I tried to put the bar more down the palm in the 2nd set. Overall, I felt a great improvement, will try to keep it like this.
    This are the videos from the working sets:

3rd set from the front.
    2nd set from the front wider angle.
    1st set from 45° of the front.

Regarding the deadlift, this is the 2nd time I miss 117,5Kgs. Last time was because of back tiredness as I tried different things on the squat and press before. This time, the bar slipped from my hands on the 4th rep. I’m using a prone grip, no hook, and tried to get my wrists, hands and arms in extension as I noticed on the previous workout how I was making a little bent on my elbows, which also was noticed here. Tried to get my back fixed which I think I did a better job at the setup but as soon as I push it seems I round it. On the good side, I didn't feel any soreness nor tiredness on the back. Forgetting about the lats and focusing back on the abs felt better.

Deadlift from the side.

I have the thing about the squishy shoes on my head, didn't skipped it.

On the squat, I'm still trying to do better.

Thanks for the help!

Bring your grip in another finger width. So your index finger is on the smooth and the rest of the fingers on the knurl. Your forearms should be vertical when viewed from the front.
    You don't seem to be taking any kind of breath before getting ready to get tight and initiate the hip action for the press. You have to take a big belly breath, get the trunk tight, the quads squeezed, and "pop" the hips forward more violently so the bar dips down right before your hips come back and you initiate the press.

You're still too close to the bar and your shoulders are way the hell in front of the bar. You'd be able to set the back more effectively when you get in the right position for your build. These are stiff-legged deadlifts as a result. Did you set up further back from the last time? We need to see a front 45 angle of the deadlift to be able to help further. I want to be able to see your feet at the start.

Hi Pete, thanks for the fast reply!

Will bring my grip in another finger width. On the breath, I took a big breath with my nose, in the third set I realeased it on the way down of the 4th rep and retook it. Will try to get more air in and get more violent on the hip movement.

Regarding the deadlift, I set up a little bit further than the last time. Last time I put myself 1 inch from the bar by eye sigh, this time I put the bar above my shoe laces. Will try beign further from the bar and will get a video at 45ª from the front.

starting strength coach development program
    Hi, I'm back!

The press went OK until last workout rep which I missed and got some left trap ache, I think it was because as I was failling I tilted the bar to the left which can be seen on the video (by the way, I'm right handed). On the hip action, I don't think I did much different than the last time despite I tried to be more agressive on it.
    I got my index finger inside the smooth part of the bar. Apart from this, I noticed that when I change air I really lose momentum.

Press 3 set 50Kg from the front
    Press 2 set 50Kg from 45° form the front
    Press 1 set 50Kg from the front

Regarding the deadlift, I got a little bit further from the bar +- 1cm (2/5 inch) and I felt really far away when trying to get my knees in to the bar but I could push the set easier than before. At the end my grip was the limiting factor, think I can get it thighter. On my back I think there is a small improvement but yet not set as expected. Could it be that I'm lacking low back strenght?

DL set 117,5Kg from 45° from the front

On the three questiosn: I'm resting 4/5' between working sets, not yet 10. Increments on the press could get smaller, need to get the plates. And regarding rest and food, didn't eat much today before training at night.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12