starting strength gym

Thread: How to implement form corrections?

Default How to implement form corrections?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all,

I've started my NLP, currently in week 3, and I've run into some persistent form issues.
    I film my worksets so I can see several things that are wrong with my form. I have attempted to correct these by focusing on form during warmups, and thinking about three cues during the each set.
    While most errors could eventually be fixed, a few of them persist into my worksets. It seems that I cannot focus on form much when I have to deal with getting the heavy weight up.
    Even when I have successfully implemented the fix just minutes ago during my last warmup set, I seem to forget about it as soon as I start lifting the workset weight.

Rather than describing the specific errors here (I might make a post about each of them if needed), I would like to ask: how do you manage to implement a fix to your form that you are aware of, during a heavy lift?

Thanks!

Are you certain the problem you're trying to fix is actually the root cause? Have you been given any form input from a coach?

Quote Originally Posted by vigilance View Post
    Rather than describing the specific errors here (I might make a post about each of them if needed), I would like to ask: how do you manage to implement a fix to your form that you are aware of, during a heavy lift?
    The correction is made at 135 and reinforced all the way up to work set weight.

I'm not completely certain which problem is the root cause, but the same issue holds for whatever the root cause is.
    I tried to fix it, but it has not become automatic enough to be retained into the workset.
    I have not had any coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The correction is made at 135 and reinforced all the way up to work set weight.
    Do you mean I should focus on one cue intensely throughout all warm-up sets, rather than trying to correct multiple things at once?

I'm not completely certain which problem is the root cause
    That's what I'm getting at. You'd benefit from posting a form check video using the guidelines in the sticky at the top of the forum.

Do you mean I should focus on one cue intensely throughout all warm-up sets, rather than trying to correct multiple things at once?
    Focusing on the right cues, in priority order, from the time you start adding weight to the bar until you rack the last work set.
    When training by yourself, you may be able to focus on only one or two cues. But they have to be the right one or two cues. Otherwise you're playing whack-a-mole.

starting strength coach development program
    Understood. Perhaps if I fix the right thing first, the other corrections will also persist into the workset.
    I'll start with a squat form check.