starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Form checks - Squat, DL & Press

Default Form checks - Squat, DL & Press

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi everyone, been on the program for +- 2 months and would like to get some feedback on my form as I'm noticing some errors and aches.

Some data:
    27 yo
    173lbs
    5' 8.5''
    Little bit of scoliosis and using orthopedic soles because I used to have calf ache after 20' runs (supine footstep).

Press last set 3x5 with 93.5lbs
    Things I notice:
    • My left wrist is really bent, gladly it isn't bench press weight.
    • Hip rebound: really can't get if I am doing it right. And it seems I'm incorporating a second hip movement.

Some aches I have:
    • Left shoulder: After second set my left shoulder was aching a little bit, changed rest from 2' to 4' (slowly going up on rest times) and went much better the last set.
    • Neck, left side: The last 3 press workouts I ended up with some ache for 2/3 days when moving my neck mostly between the left trap and the neck. This is the 2nd time I hit 93.5, last time I deloaded to 82.5.

Deadlift 1x5 with 253.5lbs
    Will try to get a 45° angle next time.
    I notice:
    • It seems I'm not keeping my lowerback on a good isometric position, same happened during the warm up and I try to ena. I'am pushing with the legs and then pulling with the hips.

Some soreness:
    • This time I had 2/3 days of lower and middle back soreness. Its beign taxing.

Squat last set 3x5 with 215lbs
    Sorry for the angle, not easy to get a good one on the rack.
    Things I notice:
    • I'm not being consistent on depth, sometimes going just below parallel (or just parallel) and then compensating going well below it.
    • I'm not constantly getting my knees fixed on the lower part of the movement.

Not aches after squatting, just a feeling of a need of decompression at the end of it..

Would appreciate any feedback!

*Sorry if it seems like a very long post, wasn't sure if it was better to make one for each lift or stick with only one for the three as they can have correlations.

Press: You aren't getting much positive hip action at the bottom. You have the issue with your wrist, yes, but your elbows are also behind the bar at the bottom. Think about tracking your elbows toward the wall/mirror on the way down, and don't let your elbows get behind the bar (iow, closer to your body than the bar is) at the bottom. Finally, your bar path is an arc moving around your face. Work on going straight up and down and move your face back out of the way instead.

Squat: I can't tell much from that angle. But you are certainly too hunched over, looking almost straight down. Instead, keep your scaps tight and "in your back pocket" and aim your gaze 4+ feet in front of you.

DL: You aren't really squeezing your lower back into full extension. Push your belly HARD b/w your thighs until it is uncomfortable. As same time, pull your shoulder blades back. Engage your lats.

Good luck.

Squat
    Lift your head a bit and get tighter in chest/upper back.
    You are squatting into your knees, slow down a bit and reach back with your hips as you approach the bottom. Reset to 92.5 if necessary.

Deadlift
    Your elbows seem flexed at the top and you could do a better job at standing up.
    Try harder at setting your back.

Press
    Elbows should be more forward and wrists should be straight. Think tight armpits.

Thanks for the input!

Will work on this thing and see how it goes:

Press
    *Straight wrist.
    *Elbows forward.
    *Tight armpits.

*With this I'll check on the bar trajectory and then will try to get the hip rebound.

Deadlift
    *Push my belly HARD b/w my thighs until it is uncomfortable.
    *Pulling shoulder blades back.
    *Engaging Lats.
    *Ensuring I'm not flexing my elbows at the top.

Squat
    *Regarding tighness I think I'm doing a good job on it, I have already notice the difference when I was at 80Kg. But I will see if I can get it tigher.
    *Head higher up, instead of looking at the feet will try to look a little higher +-4 feet in front (the mirror in front doesn't help that much)
    *Reach back with my hips as I´m reaching down.

Thanks again

Adding to the last post, will see how my left shoulder and neck side goes with those changes on the press. Maybe the bent wrist has something to do. Thanks!

Definitely look below the mirror. And if you can, set up in the opposite direction so the mirror isn't in front of you. I recently found I could do that and it really helps.

Hi, reporting back on the squat workout from Monday in which I used 90KG in order to go slower and focus on the movement:

*Last set 45° from behind
    *2nd set from the side at floor level

Think I did better with my head and tighness. Regarding depth and reaching back still no improvement, I may have been a little more consistent on depth but on the last set seems it was just parallel. Also, looking at the first video, isn't the bar a little bit high?

I also did my 3rd power clean workout 5x3 + 1x2 with 40Kg and slow technique. Will appreciate some feedback on it. Link to last set 1x2

Quote Originally Posted by BastiatBB View Post
    Definitely look below the mirror. And if you can, set up in the opposite direction so the mirror isn't in front of you. I recently found I could do that and it really helps.
    Not possible to set in the opposite direction

Thanks for the replies!

Better overall, imo, but most of your squat reps aren't to full depth. Probably ~1" high on most reps. Set your gaze a few more feet forward of where you are currently looking. And keep working on the things suggested above. But definite progress, once you get to depth.

It doesn't look to me like you are driving your hips at all in the press. Maybe a tiny nudge. you need to practice without the bar with your hands on your hips bracing hard, then driving your belly button towards the wall in front of you and bringing it back. FAST. Next try it with your hands up as if you are holding the bar. You should feel a little bounce in your hands. Grab the bar, drive your hips, and bring them back. use the bounce as momentum to drive the bar up. YouTube heres a good video as reference to put it all together.

starting strength coach development program
    Hey Kevo
    Your press grip is too wide and you need much more of an angle on the grip so the bar sits lower in the palms, and reduces the opportunity for over extension of the wrist.
    Move your grip in so your index fingers are where the knurling and smooth of the bar transition on a standard bar and let's see how that looks. The bar will "float" and not rest on the chest.
    You won't be able to get the elbows up in and in position unless you fix the wrists, and the elbows need to be forward of the bar because they help determine its trajectory.
    As far as the hip action, you need to get the quads and abs tighter and throw the hips forward with much more violence as others have said. Practice a few times without actually pressing the bar. Hold the bar and practice the hip action a few times.

For the deadlift, you're either set up too close or your shins aren't touching the bar. If your shins are on the bar, you'll need to back up a bit from where you're setup here. 1/4 to 1/2 and inch. Your hips will end up being a little lower and you'll have a better time getting the back set into hard extension.

Work on those setup issues first and then let's see what movement issues need to be cleaned up afterward. Also, don't lift in squishy shoes. Get some lifters ASAP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast