starting strength gym

Thread: Embarrassing Squat Setup Question

Default Embarrassing Squat Setup Question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,

I am going through my novice LP after spending a few years training as a triathlete. What can I say? I'm weaker than hell and basically had to start with the bar for bench, 85 lbs. for squat, 115 lbs. for deadlift, 65 pounds overhead press, and couldn't do a chin up. Admittedly, I started doing this to supplement my triathlon training so, at first, I was still running, swimming, and biking 6-8 hours a week. Although I did make progress on the LP, it obviously wasn't remarkable. I've backed away (mostly) from everything but 2 light swims a week and my numbers are improving steadily. I'm a lot stronger now than a few months ago, but I'm patient and will keep eating more.

I've noticed that one issue I'm having a remarkably hard time with is actually lifting the bar off the rack while getting ready for the squat. The positioning of the bar on my gyms' squat racks seems to fall in the perfect zone of too low at one setting and too high at another. I stick with the lower setting but struggle with the correct technique for picking the bar up from the rack. It's always that part that is hardest for me. The squat itself feels great. I feel fluid and like I'm pushing from my hips with a lot of power. I can feel the glute and ham activation and feel like I'm getting a nice stretch reflex. It's the initial pull off the rack that makes me feel like I'm using excessive lower back muscles. My latest "trick" is to basically valsalva the everliving crap out of my diaphragm such that I inflate so much that the bar lifts off the rack. This seems to work well, but lately I've started to feel like I'm pulling muscles around my ribcage. If I set the bar higher, this issue is resolved until I go to rerack the bar. Then I'm on my tippy-toes trying to get it back in the rack and with a loaded bar (even at my puny weights), I can sense the danger.

This is an embarrassing question, but what is the proper breathing technique and way to lift a loaded bar off the rack? I know it's a ridiculously stupid question, but it's the one thing about the squat that makes me feel like I'm compromising my safety.

Humble Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    A video would help.
    Copy that. I'll try to get one for you this weekend.

Hello Frank,

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    It's the initial pull off the rack that makes me feel like I'm using excessive lower back muscles.
    A video would help, but the above seems significant. You should squat the bar off the hooks. Feet under the bar, (maybe a bit wide apart, if you need to make the low height), straight back, perpendicular to the floor, big breath, push with the legs and lift the bar off the hooks.

Hope this helps,

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    Hello Frank,

A video would help, but the above seems significant. You should squat the bar off the hooks. Feet under the bar, (maybe a bit wide apart, if you need to make the low height), straight back, perpendicular to the floor, big breath, push with the legs and lift the bar off the hooks.

Hope this helps,

IPB
    Thank you! I'll give that a try. I tried to get a video this weekend, but I was promptly yelled at for trying to video in the gym.... Sigh... Probably time for a new gym.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    Thank you! I'll give that a try. I tried to get a video this weekend, but I was promptly yelled at for trying to video in the gym.... Sigh... Probably time for a new gym.
    That sucks! I would request to see documentation in my membership contract that disallows recording oneself, and, absent that, continue recording. And if such a clause does exist, request a refund given the absurdity and harmfulness (to training) of such a rule. You won't get very far in your barbell travels without regularly being able to record yourself to check form!