starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift please, long legs

Default Deadlift please, long legs

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My latest video at 110KG is corrupt but this is quite recent at 87.5KG.

A coach in a non commercial gym I visited advised my hips were too high and therefore the pull would be all back muscle thus preventing leg push. He wanted me to drop my hips slightly and in doing so shoulders would be more over the bar.

I know i have an issue not extending the back enough both up and down so that requires work. Perhaps a belt would help?

All advice greatly appreciated.

IMG_5699.TRIM on Vimeo

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by James7 View Post
    He wanted me to drop my hips slightly and in doing so shoulders would be more over the bar.
    Is that so?

They don't look terrible, but it's hard to tell from this angle. Don't jerk the bar off the floor.

Random trainers say all sorts of things that belong in the Joined a new gym thread.

GOCAD is right - not the best filming job, you're starting loose and then jerking. Go back and follow the instructions in Starting Strength - point your toes out a little, push your knees into your arms.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Random trainers say all sorts of things that belong in the Joined a new gym thread.

GOCAD is right - not the best filming job, you're starting loose and then jerking. Go back and follow the instructions in Starting Strength - point your toes out a little, push your knees into your arms.
    The gym's staff are trained by Joe Defranco certified coaches, does this give any pointers as to the advice given?

YouTube

I will post separately about this in general to widen the responses.

Cheers.

The gym's staff are trained by Joe Defranco certified coaches, does this give any pointers as to the advice given?

YouTube

Cheers.
    Yes, the gym staff trained by the coaches certified by Mr. Defranco's organization are ignorant of how body proportions affect back angle in the deadlift. As I recall this variation in angle has been addressed in a book. Have you ever played the game "telephone gossip"? Anything passed through a sufficiently large number of people will come out gibberish.

YouTube

Cheers.
    hmmmm at 2:20 in that video his back angle is only 20 degrees or so up from being horizontal (0 deg.).
    Also note that his shoulders are well in front of the bar here, not directly "over" (vertically on top of) the bar like your trainers want either.

Other than that jumping-landing-stance thing; and the "1 to 1-1/2 from the bar"; and the shoes thing (I guess barefoot is better than squishy sneakers though) ....there's really nothing too terribly wrong with that deadlift (video), its about ~90% in line with the SS model IMO.

As to what others said here, pay attention to what he say's (2:02) about taking up the stack (the bar click), and then squeezing off the floor, as opposed to the jerking thing you are doing. Your basically "jerking" your lower back into rounding at the onset it seems (hard to tell with this video).
    I'd imagine 110 looked worse than the 87 posted here.

Those trainers should at least try to absorb their own material.

Thanks all, plenty to work on.

What do people think of his hip hinge method for getting in position compared to the 5 step process?

If we thought it was better, we would use it.

For my working sets of deadlift, I require a method of setup which allows me to start the setup with my hands on the bar. To me a hip hinge setup would require that I release the bar, stand up, set my back, hinge down, re-grip between each rep. That makes it a less useful setup cue.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks all, plenty to work on.

What do people think of his hip hinge method for getting in position compared to the 5 step process?
    The problem is that it is not precise. Some people's hip hinge may put the bar either in front or behind the midfoot. If you think its a good idea to deadlift the bar in a straight vertical line over the midfoot then you should use a system that duplicates that every time.