starting strength gym

Thread: hang snatches and snatch balance

Unhappy hang snatches and snatch balance

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Been 2 months since i hit a snatch pr and i thought i'd just walk in today and try my luck, because the other day i pr'd a clean. Walked into the singapore weightlifting federation and i did 40x3, 50x2, 65x2, 80x2, then i missed 90 and sat down to rest before i gave it another crack. One of the lifters there, walked over to me, and basically said i'm over exaggerating the shrug as i finish the lift (my head is too far through) and that i better watch out because i look like i'm gonna snap some shit up in my shoulders. He gave my a quick lesson where he told me to look up at the start of the lift which then forced me to drop my hips closer to the bar, and then he said i should probably get a coach pointing to one of the coaches there, and then finally said i should lower the weights right then and practice snatch balances and hang snatches.

Will it be worthwhile to start doing hang snatches and snatch balances? i don't wanna fuck around any more than i already am.

P.S: I know the most important thing, is to just continue to get stronger on the deadlift, squat, press etc, and then obviously practise the olympic lifts.

Pls help uncle rip!

How many days a week are you snatching?

Just once a week or less, this month or less , because i've been very busy with school. But i'm planning to get back to snatching every 4-6 days.

You cannot PR the snatch by snatching every other week, unless you are a rank novice. You have no business even considering a snatch assistance exercise until you are snatching at least 3 days a week. Even then, drop snatches (your snatch balance) are of no use at all, since it neither trains not practices the actual snatch. Hang snatches, maybe.

Thanks!