starting strength gym

Thread: Squat knee pain

Default Squat knee pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey,
    I figured out my squat technique was off,
    Currently I'm pushing 95kg but since i have this technique fix i need to apply I'll definitely go down.

My questions are
    1) should I wait for the knees pain to go away completely or can i start working on the technique right away and the pain will go away?

2) how much weight should i start from all over again?

3) the issue was i had hard time to push my ass outside because of my tight hamstrings, which caused pressure on my knees when i was down, what can i do to get the hamstrings more flexible?

Thanks

Video?

YouTube

Squat 1 is last squat made

This has been addressed many times. You are lifting your chest after you get out of the bottom. This brings the knees forward. This will cause some people's knees to hurt. Stay in the hips all the way up.

Ok got it, should I wait for the knee pain to go away completley or can i start with bw right away?

Except in certain circumstances, discomfort and injury rarely gets better by resting the affected part. Deload 10% and see how it feels. The acid test is in the loaded movement, so if the pain is getting worse then review it. Otherwise, just go ahead and get stronger and your knees will thank you for it.

YouTube

Knee pain during squats massively reduced, also seems I can push considerably alot more force (escalate on the way up) without my knees getting sharp pain like before when straightening the knees.

After workout i still feel some passive slight pain.

Thoughts? Thanks

I don't think you have read the book. Your knees are sliding forward at the bottom, because they are not travelling forward at the top, the start of the descent, where there is not as much force on them as there is at the bottom. This will make them hurt.

I've reread the sqauts chapter and was working in the past days on my technique, to shove my knees out on the first 1/3 1/2 of the squat, and making sure I'm pushing the hips when ascending

These are the results for now -
    YouTube
    YouTube

Thoughts?

starting strength coach development program
    by the way in video 1 I went too deep, i fixed it in video 2.