starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check 11/9 and grip check

Default Squat Form Check 11/9 and grip check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Squat check with 300; medium weight, but I've taken weight off since technique has been deteriorating for a while. I've been having trouble correcting bar roll (specifically on the left where it rides up onto my scapula), so I took a grip-specific video on Thursday 11/7 and a full set video this morning. Both with 300 lb. Both videos attached.
    On Thursday I tried to fix the roll by narrowing my grip, but still ended up with it up on my traps at the bottom. So today I focused on chest up and low back really tight, in case I'm too horizontal. This has helped the roll but not fixed it entirely, and for some reason I've aggravated an old back injury on the left, right above the butt, and it's radiating down the leg. This has not happened since the first time I squatted 300 2 years ago, without a belt, failed a rep, and didn't lower it to the pins under control.

Today's set of 5: YouTube

Grip check from Thursday: YouTube

My last form check with 360: Joe Heisey Squat Form Check Oct 1

Hey Joe
    The set of 300 looks better with less plate spin. The hips and knees should break at the same time. You're holding the knees back a bit when you start so they're getting into position late.
    Bring your stance in a little so your heels are under your shoulders. This looks a bit wide. Then keep your knees pinned out as you drive the hips out of the hole. The hips should go up rather than back.

As far as the grip, does that bar have a center knurl on it? It may help to get a bar with a center knurl or at least put a small piece of athletic tape around the middle to keep it from sliding around.
    Start with a wider grip so you can make sure the bar is down low enough on your back, then walk your hands in closer to your shoulders. If you start too narrow, the bar will not get low enough. Watch this video from Nick D and make sure you're in the right spot.

Pete, thanks for the help. I think the bar roll is because my hips go back on the way up-->more horizontal back-->the bar rolls up to my traps. Are you saying that keeping my knees out will stop that from happening?
    As for the knurl, this is the bar we have here and I can't get another, but I will try putting a piece of tape on it and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Heisey View Post
    Are you saying that keeping my knees out will stop that from happening?
    I'm hoping it will have that effect. If you're focused on keeping them pinned out, they'll be more likely to stay in place for the first few inches of the ascent, and then the hips won't be able to go back. I'm also thinking that if you keep the knees out, the adductors won't go slack and lose their ability to help anchor the back angle.