starting strength gym

Thread: Joe Heisey Press 1.5 Form Check Oct 31

Default Joe Heisey Press 1.5 Form Check Oct 31

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Backed off further on the press weight; this is 130 and it was hard to maintain good technique.

YouTube

As I re-watch the video, I just realized that I did 6 reps, not 5. Oops.
    I'll be doing a short linear progression up to previous weights.

This is my previous form check.
    Joe Heisey Press 1.5 Form Check Oct 3

Hey Joe
    It looks like you're still doing what Ryan had mentioned in the previous form check, where you're trying to reach your hips forward as you bring the bar back down every rep. If you're going to pause at the top and "bounce" the next rep out of the bottom, you don't need to punch the hips forward every time like you would for the version of the press in the book. With the bar locked out, just tighten the abs, big breath, and lean back just enough to keep the bar over the midfoot as you bring it back down. Also, you need more violence in the turn-around at the bottom to make good use of the stretch reflex going into the next rep.

Also, get the trunk tighter. You're leaning back to support the bar. Tighten the abs up front and you'll get the low back in a more neutral position while creating more tension up front to "bounce" off of for the initial hip action.

Okay, thanks. I'm very interested as to why we don't use hip thrust in the middle 3 reps. For coordination reasons maybe?