starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and deadlift form checks

Default Squat and deadlift form checks

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Afternoon, all. Looking for some feedback on my squat and deadlift forms below. Thanks to all in advance.

Squat:
    YouTube
    Final set at 345lb of a 5x5 day on the Texas method.

Deadlift:
    YouTube
    Single 1x6 set at 385lb. 6 reps because I suck at counting.

There are quite a few things to address here. Have you read the Blue Book? First, you should really invest in some lifting shoes. Second, Squats should be filmed from a rear 45 degree angle at hip height. But even from this view I can tell there is an extreme amount of knee slide occurring, so much that your heels are coming up. Sit back, knees out, stay midfoot. The deadlift is also being pulled almost from your toes. Bar needs to be over midfoot for the entire set.

Thanks, Ryan. I compared this to some earlier videos of my squats and was surprised to see how much knee slide was in this one relative to the previous. I also didn't realize my descent was nearly this fast. I squatted this morning and made a conscious effort to slow down on the way down and sit back and I could tell a noticeable difference.
    I'll try to catch someone there to film for me from a proper location next time. There isn't any kind of flat surface from a good angle to set the phone up on.
    Lifting shoes are on the agenda in the coming months as the budget and finances allow.

Thanks again for the help and tips.