starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift help.... PLEASE

Default Deadlift help.... PLEASE

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all - desperate for some tips with my deadlift (link below).

I have spent years trying to get it right, continually resetting weight, changing technique etc. I have paid coaches and been to lifting clubs, strangely the latter never seem to think I have an issue. I'm 6ft4 and quite long limbed, which doesn't seem to help matters. If anyone can help me finally nail this, I'd be eternally grateful.

YouTube

Stance is too wide. Bar is not over midfoot. You drop your hips instead of squeezing your chest. You have control issues with your low back.

What coach did you see?

Have you read the book?

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Stance is too wide. Bar is not over midfoot. You drop your hips instead of squeezing your chest. You have control issues with your low back.

What coach did you see?

Have you read the book?
    I have seen 2 coaches, the latter told me to take a wider stance. The former said there were no major issues, even though it was clear there were major faults. I setup the lift in the video with the bar around an inch from my shins, at what appeared to be mid foot?

I have read the book many, many times, I have watched all the videos. I am at a loss as to how to rectify.

Hey Dills
    The stance is wider than we'd set you up initially. You saw an SSC and they had you widen it to this point? I've had tall/lanky lifters take a little bit wider stance before, but not to this degree.

Stance aside, you're combining steps 4 and 5, and not really getting the back set. You're also rocking back to your heels at the same time you're trying to set the back.
    Deliberately separate out the steps. Don't rock off midfoot when you set your back. It will be tougher to set the back if you stay midfoot, but that's show business. Get all the slack out of the bar first as you squeeze the chest up and then start the pull.
    You have to be more patient with step 4 and you have to stay midfoot when you execute.

Thanks Pete.

The I didn't go back to the SSC after being advised to stand as wide as I am in the video. Having tried and failed to go narrower again though, I thought I would give it another shot - it clearly doesn't work though.

The rocking on the heels was something I was told to do at a local PL gym... It seems to make the weight lighter, but as you've pointed out, it pulls me out of alignment.

I don't have any particular issues with other lifts... but I just cannot seem to nail a deadlift. My current programme has me deadlifting only once a week, I am wondering if it would be worth fitting deadlifts in every session, focusing on technique, rather than weight?

As it currently stands, after around 18 years of trying - and failing to get this lift right - I am contemplating finally giving up on it; saving my back and wallet!

I have now dropped the weight right back and taken notes on board, including a reread of the book. This was last night's effort:

Shared album - Benjamin Dilloway - Google Photos

Sorry about quality, not sure what happened. Grateful for views/ pointers.

These look a bit better. Your last two reps are the best. You're still trying to combine the back squeeze/set and the pull during the first few reps, but you seem to be more patient for the last rep. Try setting up a hair further back form the bar than you are now. No more than a 1/4 inch. Then sit your hips down to bring the shins to the bar rather than rocking forward on your toes to get them there. You'll be more likely to stay balanced on midfoot.
    Lift the chest to get the back set and get all of the "slack" out of the bar. STOP.
    Big belly breath and drive your midfoot into he ground as you hold on to the bar to get it going.
    You'll be fine. Knock off the "giving up" talk.

Latest effort:

Shared album - Benjamin Dilloway - Google Photos

It still looks awful. I did try to pause before the lift this time. Two things I have noticed are:

1. I find it incredibly difficult to take a breath after attempting to set up.

2. I find it almost impossible to lift chest and maintain a neutral neck position.

When trying to lift chest, it really doesn't feel as though I can go any further than in video. Without being labelled a special snowflake - could I ask if there is any mobility work that could help?

... Grateful for further advice!

starting strength coach development program
    You're doing a better job of being patient. And the hips look like they're in a better place on rep three for the start. You're getting the chest up, but the lower back isn't going into extension. Think about dropping your belly to the bar as you tilt your ass up to set the low back. Or think about dropping your junk between your legs as you try and touch your ass to your shoulders. These are deliberately absurd visualizations to help get you in the right position.
    Next, stay out over the bar longer and break it off the ground with your quads. Meaning, maintain your back angle for the first few inches off the ground as you push the floor away with your feet. You're pulling it around your knees now and that needs to be killed.
    Keep working on it dills. You're not giving up though. You'll get there.