starting strength gym

Thread: Squat wrist pain

Default Squat wrist pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Rip,
    When setting up for a low bar squat my left wrist is flexing severely and causing considerable pain. My right wrist does not have this problem, which suggests there’s a mobility issue in my left shoulder. I’ve tried widening my grip on the bar but still my left wrist is being bent back. How can I resolve this?

Photo?

IMG_3567.jpgIMG_3577.jpgIMG_3570.jpg

I've attached two photos showing my standard grip, with the left wrist inflection, and one photo taking a wider grip.

Some context: I'm 31 years old, 6ft 1, and have been in the gym since I was about 19, but always doing "beach weights". I'm now trying to take my key compound lifts seriously. The low bar squat feels a lot more stable and powerful than the high bar, so I really hope I can resolve this issue with my left wrist on the bar.

Many thanks,

Alastair

I have read it and forgot to place my thumbs on top of the bar in the photos I sent you. With that being said, I have attempted this using the grip of thumb on top and the left wrist still bends back. Looking at my photos in my previous message, and acknowledging that the thumb should be on top of the bar, do you see any other errors with my positioning? I really want to low bar squat but I’m concerned I’ll damage my left wrist with how much it is currently bending back. I note that in the link you sent me (pasted again below) the guy at 4.00 mins in the video has the exact same problem but you just told him to bend it the other way. I’m finding it very difficult to move mine wrist to the correct position.
    Fixing the Squat Grip | Mark Rippetoe

Many thanks

It seems as though you believe that your wrist position is not under your voluntary control.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastair View Post
    I have read it and forgot to place my thumbs on top of the bar in the photos I sent you. With that being said, I have attempted this using the grip of thumb on top and the left wrist still bends back. Looking at my photos in my previous message, and acknowledging that the thumb should be on top of the bar, do you see any other errors with my positioning? I really want to low bar squat but I’m concerned I’ll damage my left wrist with how much it is currently bending back. I note that in the link you sent me (pasted again below) the guy at 4.00 mins in the video has the exact same problem but you just told him to bend it the other way. I’m finding it very difficult to move mine wrist to the correct position.
    Fixing the Squat Grip | Mark Rippetoe

Many thanks
    I was convinced for months that straight wrists couldn't be done, but as usual, I was wrong. It's bloody uncomfortable the first few times and doesn't ever get much easier, just get it done. :-)