starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been struggling with upper back position mostly (elbows too high, slouched, hands too wide etc.), so I hope I've fixed that.
    I also didn't bend over and sit back much during the initial progression (40-70kg, no video).
    I'm still experimenting with stance, sometimes I feel the nice stretch (110kg / 117.5kg / 125kg), sometimes I don't.
    Sometimes my torso gets more horizontal, sometimes it does not.
    I also see that my toes get up at the start, I've been trying to position the bar above the middle of the foot before starting (felt the weight at heels too much).

The latest trouble is significant change to my form during the last 2 weeks.
    My elbows started dropping and they no longer change their angle with the torso. I also feel like I'm not bending as much at the start as I did before. I've been trying to but can't get out of that bad movement pattern. Last workout I felt like my middle back was extending. I can't figure out what changed.

I also feel like my best days are on the last workout of the week. Somehow I feel the strongest then and my form seems consistent throughout the sets. Don't know why.

117.5kg to 127.5kg (all last sets except 117.5kg [first and last], and 125kg first) (15:06)
    YouTube

125kg last set, I was wondering why I was not reaching depth, I assumed it was a wider than usual stance, but I might not be bending over / sitting back enough.
    YouTube

127.5kg last workout (21:01)
    YouTube

Workout from today went way better with 130kg. But I realized that my upper back would relax too much and for some reason I'd rotate the elbows, bar moves lower compared to normal rep, destabilizes and goes a bit forward and messes up the whole movement. After I really concentrated on firm upper back I didn't get any elbow rotation, but when fatigue kicks in it comes back and the looser upper back is visible.

I guess shoulders/bar moving forward, because of elbow rotation, is enough to severely mess up the movement.

I can see the last rep of the first set got messed up and the elbow rotation was the worst, while on first three reps it was nonexistent.

YouTube

Hey - you need to keep a solid grip on the bar throughout the set. As you seem to have already realized, you are allowing your wrists to bend back and elbows to drop, which loosens your upper back. This article should help:

Identifying and Correcting Thoracic Spinal Flexion in the Squat | Bill Hannon

Also shove your knees out harder

I've been really concentrating on the back position and tight grip.

I did start noticing one thing. The weight got heavier and the rests between reps get in the 5-8 second range. Both of my hands (from shoulder to fingers) are just numbing out. Completely numbing. I guess that's the reason why the back position together with the grip on the bar fails when I start going up. I can start feeling the tinglings after around 30 seconds. After I rack the bar both of my hands are numb and I find it very uncomfortable making a fist (my fingers are frozen straight).

I'm sure it's not an injury, it happens with an empty bar too (same amount of time) and happens also without the bar. I just connect the scapulae and depresss the shoulders with hands hanging down.

I guess I did not notice that before because the sets were short enough.

I'm not sure what to do, other than to decrease the reps and make sets shorter that way.

I wonder if your back angle is too vertical? That would put more of a load down thru the shoulders to the arms and hands.

My thought on the way down is to point my nipples to the floor, push my knees out, and lead with the hips coming out of the bottom.

Maybe a coach could set me straight on this if I’m off but for now it’s my thought after looking at the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Gbraddock View Post
    I wonder if your back angle is too vertical? That would put more of a load down thru the shoulders to the arms and hands.

My thought on the way down is to point my nipples to the floor, push my knees out, and lead with the hips coming out of the bottom.

Maybe a coach could set me straight on this if I’m off but for now it’s my thought after looking at the video.
    Yeah, I might be making my back more horizontal too late, and this did start happening with more weight. My knees are also more forward compared to my warmups. Although I do not feel the bar anywhere but my back, my wrists and elbows are fine and painless. Just depressing the shoulders and connecting the scapulae, without the bar, is enough. My neck, hands, totally relaxed and the tingles start after 25-30 seconds.

starting strength coach development program
    Enough talk! Just post a video and we will help.