starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check -- hip pain

Default Squat form check -- hip pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I would appreciate any feedback you can give on these squat sets. I have some mild hip pain, always on the lookout for form weakness.

I'm working the weight back up after some setbacks, this is 295x5, 3 sets.

Set 2/3

Set 3/3

Hey Crema
    This isn't directed at you as much as it is to everyone that's reading this: If you're going to complain of pain, and believe it may be tied to technique, you have to be much more specific than "mild hip pain". Explaining where exactly you feel the pain, when, during what part of the ROM, how long you feel it for, etc. would be infinitely more helpful.

That said, the issue I see with your squat is tied to your upper back/elbows.
    Get your chest up to set the upper back and pull the elbows down. Maintain that position as you descend by sending your ass back away from your feet and aiming your nipples between your knees. That's the "lean over" rather than literally trying to point your chest at the ground and allowing the upper back to round.
    Also, get consistently to depth. Some of these are really close and your last one was at parallel.
    You may try moving your stance wider a hair.
    Work on that stuff and let us know how it goes.

Thank you for the feedback. I'll need to reread the squat chapter to look for the upper back discussion. I think I'll go back down a bit in weight and work on not rounding the upper back.

The hip pain is not only during the squat but comes and goes in everyday life, standing or walking. It is on the left side, right at the insertion point of the femur into the hip socket. I do tend to feel a dull ache there after a couple of sets of squats.

Two things to try for your next session...
    Get rid of the two-part descent. You're unlocking your knees. Stopping. Then starting the squat.
    Try a bit wider stance and make sure you're knees track out over your toes. You could be mashing something up in the hip. A little wider stance and getting the femurs out of the way may help.

I didn't notice your post until after this lifting session today. My focus in these sets was on keeping the upper back straight and making sure to use proper Valsalva. I think I still have the two-part issue that you mention. Regarding the hip pain, I did not have any during the lifts but walking off the platform after the 3rd set, I had an ache where the femur goes into the hip socket on the left side, radiating down a bit.

Set 1
    Set 2
    Set 3

I don't see any difference in stance between the second and third sets. Did you widen your stance much from the initial post?
    Your upper back/elbows are still looking rough. See how much the plates are spinning back and forth? You have to get the elbows pulled down. Maybe the bar is sitting high. Tough to tell from here. Shoot a set from behind next time at eye level and we'll take a look.

I've been working on chest up as a queue, I think the upper back situation is a bit better. Could you please take a look ? Same weight as before.

Set 1 YouTube
    Set 2 YouTube
    Set 3 YouTube

Still got that weird two-part start going on. The problem with this is that you're rocking around on your feet and unlikely to be able to stay midfoot. Need to sort that out by feeling for midfoot and staying there as you start the descent. Or, get a training partner with a stick and tell them to hit you every time you do it.

Your upper back looks like a candy cane. Get your chest up and pull the elbows down. You can't do this hanging your head like that. Get the head and chest up, elbows down, then lower your gaze to the end of the platform a few feet out. Instead of straight down.

Some of these are at parallel, so let's get the knees out and not let that happen. Depth before dishonor.
    Work on the upper back/elbows, get the knees out, staying midfoot, get to consistent depth.
    Are you still smashing soft tissue up front? The stance looks better, just need to shove your thighs apart.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you Coach, I appreciate the feedback.