starting strength gym

Thread: Press form check

Default Press form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi! I'm sure I'm doing loads of things wrong here. I'd appreciate your feedback.

Hey Yonason
    This weight may be too heavy to correct what you need to correct here.
    There's a general looseness from the chest to your feet. From a setup standpoint, you need to get the trunk (specifically at the front) much tighter and get the knees locked with the quads squeezed. If you can get your midsection tighter, and stack the hips up underneath the shoulders, you'll be in a better position to press. As it is now, you're leaned back and trying to press off balance. Also, getting the abs and quads tighter will give you something to "bounce" off of when you throw the hips forward.
    Do you have a shoulder issue that prevents you from locking the bar out further back over the shoulder joints?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Hey Yonason
    This weight may be too heavy to correct what you need to correct here.
    There's a general looseness from the chest to your feet. From a setup standpoint, you need to get the trunk (specifically at the front) much tighter and get the knees locked with the quads squeezed. If you can get your midsection tighter, and stack the hips up underneath the shoulders, you'll be in a better position to press. As it is now, you're leaned back and trying to press off balance. Also, getting the abs and quads tighter will give you something to "bounce" off of when you throw the hips forward.
    Do you have a shoulder issue that prevents you from locking the bar out further back over the shoulder joints?
    Thanks Pete! Great advice.
    I do have a shoulder issue - tendonitis on and off for six years now. Up to 40kg I have enough control to get more of a stretch locking the bar further back. I got carried away with the weight since I felt juiced, and hadn't pressed that much since I can remember. Hopefully next week I can press heavy again, maybe at just 70kg, and implement your recommendations. I'll post the video when I get there.

I think 70 is a good choice to try and get this stuff worked out.
    Eventually, head over to the Managing Injuries forum and see if you can find some info on dealing shoulder issues.

It looks like maybe he doesn't get under the bar early enough?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    It looks like maybe he doesn't get under the bar early enough?
    Yes, because he's off balance with his hips hanging out forward. He would have to be able to pull the hips back to get the chest and shoulders forward under the bar. Do you see that now?