• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Height/ Weight : 6'1 260

Current LP Numbers

Squat: 295 5x3
    Bench: 200 5x3
    Press: 155 5x3
    Deadlift: 355x5

In need of some critique on my squat. Just finished coaching football and currently have a 6 month old that likes to keep mom and dad up at night. I was barely able to lift during season as I am also the SC coach at our school, plus new dad duties. Squatting has been rough, feels very off compared to memory. This is my 3rd week of NLP since getting back under the bar consistently.

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5ddc6ed4...130128_313.mp4

Hey Kyle
    Happy to take a look. Could you please load the video up on youtube or somewhere we can stream it from rather than having to download a file?

YouTube

My fault. Haven't uplaoded a video from tapatalk before.

Not bad.
    You can cut the depth about an inch.
    Move your eye gaze out a foot or two and keep your knees pinned out on the ascent. We want the hips to come straight up rather than back out of the bottom.

I'll apply that to my next training session, thanks!

Quick question regarding my hips going back. I understand it's a deviation from good form and should be fixed, but wouldn't the posterior chain (in particular hamstrings) be doing more work in the hips back movement since the origin and insertion points of the hamstring are further apart for a longer period of time? Again, I completely get "hips up" is the model, I'm trying to really understand the material of SSBBT and to think critically about the movements.

Hey Kyle
    Yes, but in the bottom position of the squat is where you'd want to create that distance. Really, the origin is moving away from the insertion because of the flexing of the hip, not simply because the hips are moving backwards. At the same time the adductors are being stretched out by sending the knees outward and the hips back, so they can assist with anchoring the back angle and extending the hips out of the hole.
    So, with your squat in particular the hips are going back out of the hole partly because you're losing some of the tension of the adductors with the knees going slightly valgus and slamming back immediately out of the hole. Your back angle goes more horizontal, so yes you've put more work on the hammies and glutes and spinal erectors to finish the lift. But making squatting like this a habit will have it's own problems because- 1) you'll likely be limited by the strength of the erectors being able to deal with the more horizontal back angle, 2) the adductors get away with not doing their job, 3) You're less likely to be able to keep your center of mass over it's center of balance so now your body has to dick around with figuring out how not to fall over. Watch the bar path move slightly forward as you ascend. Eventually it'll turn into a full-blown squat-morning.
    Look at the difference in your back angle from the bottom position here...
    Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 7.36.14 PM.jpg
    ...and the ascent here.
    Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 7.36.59 PM.jpg
    Do you see the issue?

Keep in mind we want to emphasize the posterior chain in the low-bar version of the squat relative to other versions of the squat. We're not training the hamstrings in isolation. We're training as much muscle mass as we can, through the most effective ROM, to lift the most weight.
    Last edited by Pete Troupos; 11-29-2019 at 07:35 PM.

I appreciate the detailed response! I don't have anyone to discuss this material with so this type of feedback is extremely helpful. I'm squatting today and will work really hard on keeping my knees out parallel to my feet to keep my adductors doing their job and to keep my back angle consistent.

You can also check out the Coaching forum if you have questions about the material or concepts in the book. You may find that helpful as well.

Hi pete, is there a way to save this thread on my profile in order to have easy access to it? I found the subscription but it just shows every post apart. The explanation on the bottom position is very insightful.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Hi pete, is there a way to save this thread on my profile in order to have easy access to it? I found the subscription but it just shows every post apart. The explanation on the bottom position is very insightful.
    I'm not sure. Probably could just bookmark on your browser.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast