starting strength gym

Thread: "Feeling" of a power clean done correctly?

Default "Feeling" of a power clean done correctly?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey guys- Have a slightly out of ordinary question for those of you who are proficient with cleans.

What does a successful clean actually “feel” like to you?

The reason I ask, is that while performing cleans last night; I decided to test a minor tweak in my form (basically just sitting back into my heels more during setup) which completely changed the way the lift feels.

My power cleans usually feel as though I’m lifting a pretty heavy amount of weight, but when I made this change I got the sensation of the bar almost going weightless once I hit the jump, the weight flies up and I would move UNDER the bar to receive it.

To me, this seems more like how a power clean would be expected to feel- Have I finally experienced doing it correctly? Or am I simply using too little weight? I guess what I’m asking is- performed correctly, should the bar feel as though it’s flying up into the rack position under its own power rather than feel like I’m still maneuvering a heavy weight

The reason I haven’t posted any numbers or form videos is simply because I just want to confirm I’m correct in wondering if it’s starting to “feel right” - Sometimes I oversaturate myself with things to work on, and I find it interferes with my forms

Thanks in advance

I'm hesitant to confirm that what you're "feeling" is correct without actually seeing it.

Ok well here is an older video of my PC, this was a last set and the third i'm aware is more of a full clean as I am trying to work on receiving it at depth. Basically imagine i started with my hips lower and weight back on my heels- thats the main change I made last night. Ill get a video next time I do cleans

This start position is the problem. Knees and bar are too far forward because the hips are too low. A video comparison of this and the new form would most likely show that your hips are back and up, the knees are back, the bar is back over mid-foot, and your shoulders stay over the bar longer as the bar is pulled off the floor. Post the new video so we can see.