starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Recently I got problem with bar digging to my bones and skin while squatting. I tried widening my grip by one finger so I can hold bar down and it got better.
    My left shoulder got worse mobility than right so I force my self to keep bar in middle.
    I am at week 8 of LP after two months of not training and loosing 10kg of BW.
    Last set of 115kg squats from Monday with fixed grip. Is my form OK?

Hey Anton

Your upper back isn't set or staying rigid. When we say "point your chest at the ground" that should come from the hinge of the hips going back rather than literally collapsing the upper back and pointing the chest straight down.
    When you set up for the rep, lift your chest to get the upper back set and pull the elbows down. Move your eye gaze out to 1-1.5 meters on the floor in front of you (not straight down). Then start the rep by sending your ass back to the wall behind you and keeping your hips away from your feet. The whole torso (including the chest) will lean over so that you can keep your center of mass over midfoot. Think of the upper and lower back as one rigid lever arm. There can't be any bending or softness.
    See if you can get the upper back and elbows in the correct position while squatting and check back here.

Monday workout 117,5kg. I need to get used to not looking under my butt for checking depth. I think they were too deep. Is that problem? Pulling elbows down and hinging back felt better than whatever I was doing before but knees looks more forward now. Is that OK?
    Set 1 YouTube
    Set 2 YouTube
    Set 3 YouTube

The elbows look better here.

The issue with these is that you're not getting the knees set in place as you squat. They should stop traveling forward about half way down and stay in place as you continue to reach back with your hips. You'll have to continue to stay leaned over as you keep your ass back away from your feet and get to depth. I don't know that most of these are too deep as much as the knees just never really being anchored in position. But yes, being too deep presents a new set of problems, so shoot for below parallel.
    You're going to have to practice this in warmups, but focus on getting the knees set and continuing to reach back with your hips for now.