starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weakling Needs Squat Form Check

Default Weakling Needs Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi All,

I'm 37, 6'2" and 190 pounds. This is my squat at 160 pounds. I worked up to this weight previously, had some issues with the "crease" in my hip from not keeping my knees out, and had to go back down. I'm an extremely hard gainer who has finally managed to gain about 15 pounds (I started at 175) on this program. I have to eat about 4000 calories a day during the work week and about 3500 during the weekend for my body to consider the idea of gaining weight. For me, eating enough has been the hardest part of this for me. My job is very active and I have an insane metabolism. So, 160 for me is heavy, especially considering I thought I might die when I started at 85 pounds.

Currently, I feel like I'm having a depth problem. I also feel like if I go any deeper, I will not be able to maintain my back in extension and that my lower back will start to round. That said, the muscle groups that do feel the most "worked" the next day are definitely the hamstrings and glutes- not my quads. My first and third set at 160 are below. My second set never started recording due to the operator (me) being a dufus.

Also... Any diet advice for someone who cares a lot about what they eat (no pizza, burgers, fries, etc...) but struggles badly with weight gain? I love veggies, lean meats, eggs, milk, steak, nuts, my wife's bison chili, etc... I can't do GOMAD, but I do get in about 16 oz. of it a day without digestive issues. Thank you.

(First Set)

(Third Set)

Sorry. I値l get a better video next time.

Video a deeper squat next time.

Copy that. I値l do my best.

Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 9.44.02 PM.jpg
    About 3-4 more inches, Frank. Similar to the above.

Humble thanks, Pete and Rip. I値l do my best to get as deep as I can. Is there some sort of cue I can use to know when I知 at depth? I keep assuming the deep hamstring stretch I feel is the cue, but obviously it痴 not reliable for me.

If you don't have a training partner to help eyeball it in really time it's going to take recording and watching your sets a lot. And paying attention to how proper depth feels. Record yourself without the bar before you start your first warmups and adjust from there. Shouldn't take long. When in doubt for now, go deeper.

Thanks again for both responding and for putting up with my obvious ignorance. I guess I値l be recording due to my oddball training hours, but that痴 ok. I知 used to flying solo. I値l knock the weight back a bit, see if I can go deeper and repost when I get the chance.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 9.44.02 PM.jpg
    About 3-4 more inches, Frank. Similar to the above.
    Pete and Rip,

I've been working hard at this. I dropped the weight over the last 2 weeks. I've been videoing and trying to get a "feel" for what the proper depth is. I apologize in advance if I'm not quite there yet, but I think I've made at least some improvement. I'm patient and if I have to go back and do it all over again, then so be it. That said, I do hope I am improving somewhat? I will gladly listen to any advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast