starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LP 365x5x1 Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    You're not getting all of the slack out of the bar still. Hear how noisy it is when you start pulling?
    Rock back off your toes first and make sure you're on midfoot.
    Get all of the slack out of the bar. Keep lifting your chest and don't stop until you hear the plates "click" and your arms want to rip out of your shoulder joints.
    Stay out over the bar as you press the ground away with your feet. Don't be in a rush to get behind the bar. Another way to think about this is imagine I have a hand on your upper back and a hand on your lower back and you have to push against both my hands with the same amount of force at the beginning.
    You actually may benefit from deadlifting in flats or slippers with your build.

How is my form on this? This is on 4 hours of sleep and a forced skipped day on Wednesday, so it shouldn't be this slow in normal circumstances. I decided to get a little closer than usual to the bar this time. I'm now feeling all the weight in my hands before I pull.

YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Morrison View Post
    I decided to get a little closer than usual to the bar this time.
    Why? I've told you were too close in the past and where to line the bar up. Your ass is higher than your shoulders here. Because you're too close to the bar.
    Why ask for feedback if you're going to do your own thing anyway? Please go back and read the feedback from the multiple deadlifts threads.
    Have you tried pulling in flats like I suggested?
    Last edited by Pete Troupos; 12-22-2019 at 12:20 PM.

Sorry about that. I didn't see your latest reply. This is still too close to the bar.
    YouTube
    I will pull in flats on Wednesday. Other than being too close, do you see anything else that needs to be addressed? I'm thinking that I got too upright on that last rep.

Yes. Some of the things we've said in the past. You're set up with your weight on your toes, not getting the slack out of the bar before starting the pull, and pulling around your knees still. Please go back and read the previous feedback, and if there's something that you need clarification on, let me know.
    You could've gotten that last rep.
    Last edited by Pete Troupos; 12-24-2019 at 08:18 AM.

YouTube
    The camera cut out after the first 2 reps.
    I'm wearing flats now. I put the bar where it should be. The weight is not on my toes. I think I'm getting all the slack out of the bar before I start the pull. Notice the pause between setting the back and starting the pull. Between these steps, my back immediately rounds to some extent. How do I fix this? Does it need to be fixed? If I'm not getting all the slack out, than I don't know what this means or how to do it. As for pulling around the knees, I'm still doing it, but I don't know how to fix this. Should I just make a deliberate attempt at mid shin to completely extend my knees? The reason I took 10 lbs off the bar is because I can't do anything right at max weight. Should I just go down to 355 and focus on extending my legs all the way after mid shin and not pulling around my knees?

Not a coach, but you need to set your gaze before you start the pull (you're staring at the floor for the first part of the pull). That will probably make it easier to get your chest up, too.

starting strength coach development program
    Drop your belly/dick between your knees. Really set/arch the low back . this should help you maintain low back position . Think "chest up hips up," feel heavy in your hands. Not a coach but you might be a little too close to the bar, this will lower your hips. making it easier to set the low back into extension. Good luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12