starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LP 365x5x1 Deadlift Form Check

Default LP 365x5x1 Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Upon seeing this, I know I need to really pull the slack out of the bar before the pull and maintain a constant eye gaze. I know now that I need to drive up with my hips more. Any cues for this?

My main question is if you think my back rounded on the last rep.

YouTube

Hey Jack
    Let's start keeping follow up form checks for the same lift in a single thread so it's easier to refer back to what the previous feedback was. Or at least link the older thread here.

You are correct about getting more slack out of the bar. When warming up, you should be setting your back so hard that the bar floats off the ground just from the back going into extension.

As far as not pulling around the knees, getting the eyes locked out would help. Then making sure the bar is over midfoot and you're balanced on midfoot. If you rock back to your heels, you're more likely to pull around the knees. Then some cues to think about are...
    Drive your midfoot into the ground.
    Push the ground away as you hold the bar.
    Leg press the ground away.
    Stay out over the bar for the first couple inches off the ground.
    Peel the bar off the floor.
    Squeeze the bar off the floor.

Your back has a little bit of flexion, but I wouldn't stop you from pulling. It needs to be addressed and it can be by attacking the two points of feedback - get the slack out of the bar and stop pulling around your knees.

YouTube

This was 375x5x1 from Wednesday. I have come to the conclusion this is just too heavy for my low back to handle right now and I plan on going down to 345x5x1 on Friday just to ingrain this idea of leg pressing the floor away to start the movement into my head. I have long legs and a short torso, so should my back angle be this horizontal? Any other feedback is appreciated.

fuok,
    you had that, 5 second pull,

you're exhaling at the top, NG, hold the valsava till it's back down,
    I'm wondering if that is the extra stress on the lower back you're feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Morrison View Post
    This was 375x5x1 from Wednesday. I have come to the conclusion this is just too heavy for my low back to handle right now and I plan on going down to 345x5x1 on Friday just to ingrain this idea of leg pressing the floor away to start the movement into my head. I have long legs and a short torso, so should my back angle be this horizontal? Any other feedback is appreciated.
    I didn't see any reason to give up on the last rep. This wasn't a failure of strength.
    You're going to need to be more patient with getting the slack out of the bar. This is a little better, but you're still trying to start the pull before you've gotten the back completely set.
    Also, turn your elbows the other way and don't deliberately externally rotate the shoulders
    Yes, long legged/short torso people will tend to have a more horizontal back angle.
    What is your deadlift programming?

I am pulling 3 days per week. Why shouldn't I turn my elbows in to tighten my lats? I have difficulty In holding the bar against my legs and preventing bar drift, what should I do?

Can you be more specific about the program? You're doing 1x5 three times a week?

You were pulling around your knees before, causing the bar to come off your legs. That is likely why you had difficulty keeping it in contact.
    The lats, amongst other things, are internal rotators. And you're externally rotating the arms. You're moving the insertion away from the origin. There are a couple other reasons not to do this.
    Look up the anatomy of the lats, where they insert and what their function is. Then look up "antagnostic pairs".
    Then, rotate your arms the other way (olecranon out), squeeze the triceps and deadlift without pulling it around your knees.

My phone died during last week's deadlift set, so I have no video. This is this Monday's set at 355x5x1. I now realize that I only did 4, but I could have sworn it was 5. Aside from this, how is my form?
    YouTube
    This is my last warmup at 325x1. Is this any better?
    YouTube
    Any other advice? Do you think I should take more weight off the bar until my form is down pat?

Hey Jack
    What are the form issues that you're thinking about/working on this set of 355? I know what I've told you, but tell me what's going on in your cabeza.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm lifting my chest and not keeping a near constant back angle until around my knees.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast