starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This was a PR for me 220lbs (190BW)

I had to lower the weight last month because of a shooting pain between my shoulder and elbow. At first I thought I was getting sick and the pain was the same achyness that comes before the flu (just aggravated with the lifting). But after the second time I realized it was something in my form. I backed off the weight, moved the bar a little higher on my back and it started to feel better.

I think I had been holding the bar too low, squeezing it into my back during the lifts, and holding a lot of weight in my arms.

The lift in this video is the first PR since that de-loading.

Please take a look and let me know what you think.
    Thank you!

YouTube

Hi, not an SSC, but maybe can help. It seems you end up doing a good morning at the bottom, I was terrified by your last rep.

Try keeping your chest out from the start and during the whole rep as well as bringing your grip a little bit closer to get the back set thigher.

Regarding the bar position you can check this video: Where to Put the Bar for the Squat | Nick Delgadillo

Wish this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Try keeping your chest out from the start
    What do you mean by this?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What do you mean by this?
    I was meaning that he should try extending his upper back that should be achieved by *keeping his chest out* in order to get a more secure bar position and not end up with a round upper back.

Just went to the book to see how it was written, I was referring to *lifting the chest*.

Controlling your knees is going to help tremendously with the back angle. Getting them set in the bottom and keeping them pinned out as you turn around out of the hole will allow you to control the back angle more effectively. That and cutting off the depth on some of these.
    Move your eye gaze out a couple feet so you're not looking straight down.
    Focus on where your balance is from top to bottom, fight to stay midfoot, keep the knees shoved out, and you should be good to go.
    Next time you post a video do an extra from behind and make sure we can see your feet in both. I suspect you may be a little wide on the stance.

Thanks all for the help, I’m doing my best to implement it! Been working on lifting with my chest and keeping my hips from rising too fast. Also, brought my hands in a lot, and worked on keeping my elbows up.

I’m still not certain I have the bar at the correct height on my back. I think I have it right, but on my second rep I rubbed the bar with chalk to get a mark to confirm. I also recorded that set from the back, at Pete’s suggestion, to check my foot placement.

I do see that my knees are definitely caving in despite focusing on pushing them out. Is my foot placement okay? Would it make sense to use a TUBOW in my case?

These sets are at 200lbs (I lowered the weight 10%) from my PR to focus on my form.

Thanks for any help!

Set 1 (from back): YouTube
    Set 2: (from back with chalk): YouTube
    Set 3 (3/4 view): YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    Hey
    The stance width looks like it's over-corrected and now it's too narrow. Get your heels about under your armpits. About an inch on each side should get you in a better spot.

You're starting with the grip a little too narrow before you get under the bar. Move your hands out a couple inches, slide the bar against your back into the right position, and then walk the hands back in. The right hand is actually shoving the bar up as you squat and it's causing the bar to cant. Find a grip width where you can keep the wrists neutral. See Nick D's video in youtube about bar position. Is there something wrong with your left shoulder or is it just less flexible than the right?

You cut depth off a little too much on the last set and some reps are a couple inches high.
    Keep working on it.