starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    After working with Coaches Nick and Diego in Baltimore at the Coaching the Squat seminar I decided to put what I've learned into practice. Here is a rear 45 degree view and a side view of 295x5 last two sets. A few issues I've been working on are consistently staying bent over and keeping a consistent back angle. The other is not allowing the bar to roll up my traps.

This is my first post and I look forward to learning and engaging with as many smart folks as possible. Sorry for the Johnny Cash look, I'll do better in the future.

Not a SSC. Your knees are going too far forward because your hips are not going back. You will never be able to bend over enough while this is happening because the bar would no longer be over the mid foot.

His knees are not going too far forward; they are short of his toes per the side view.

I'd like to see you get your upper back tighter before each rep. You're going to have to consciously lift the chest and pull the elbows down at the top every rep. This will give you more confidence in the lean-over and setting the back angle sooner so you can stay on midfoot and set the knees. (Your first two reps were on your toes mostly because of the back angle) It will also keep you from wanting to lift the chest early and come out of the hips too soon.
    Wrists should be neutral whenever possible. A little bit of wrist extension is ok, but flexion is not.
    Also not over-shooting depth will help to keep the knees set. You're not going ass to grass, but you can cut it off a bit so the knees stay put. Right below parallel.
    Last edited by Pete Troupos; 12-06-2019 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by m s View Post
    Not a SSC. Your knees are going too far forward because your hips are not going back. You will never be able to bend over enough while this is happening because the bar would no longer be over the mid foot.
    This is likely true on the first couple reps. If you watch his feet you can see the heels come up. And his back angle doesn't get set as fast as we'd like. However, he cleans it up mid-set.
    I'll often use "send the hips back" and "lean over more" interchangeably to get the same effect. This is to facilitate keeping the combined COM (lifter and barbell) over the lifter's center of balance. The barbell likely won't travel plum along the mid-foot axis. If you're an aspiring coach, make sure to read over this if you haven't already. It may be helpful to understand what you'll see and why.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    This is likely true on the first couple reps. If you watch his feet you can see the heels come up. And his back angle doesn't get set as fast as we'd like. However, he cleans it up mid-set.
    I'll often use "send the hips back" and "lean over more" interchangeably to get the same effect. This is to facilitate keeping the combined COM (lifter and barbell) over the lifter's center of balance. The barbell likely won't travel plum along the mid-foot axis. If you're an aspiring coach, make sure to read over this if you haven't already. It may be helpful to understand what you'll see and why.
    Thanks for the link Pete. I understand the physics and was oversimplifying trying to stress that if the knees are moving too far forward, it will not be possible to bend over optimally. Not an aspiring coach (yet) - but I occasionally get asked for help in the gym so thanks for the reminder.

As BastiatBB said the knees look pretty good in the side view. OP said the videos are from two different sets. To my untrained eye it's tough to tell if my change in perception is due to a change in form or to the change in camera angle.

I think I’ll be able to bring my grip in a little but if some wrist extension is ok. That usually allows me to get the elbows down better. I never even noticed the heels coming up so that’s helpful. Will post a follow up next week.

To clarify, a little isn't going to kill you if it keeps the bar in place and the elbows down. We'd prefer neutral. Sometimes people think they're neutral and it turns into flexion, throttling the bar. That leads to a bar that's moving around and/or a pissed off elbow.

Ok thanks. Looking forward to getting under the bar tomorrow.

starting strength coach development program
    Here is some squats from yesterday. Did 295x5 again, felt much better. I think I was able to get tighter with a slightly closer grip and I believe my heels stay flat every rep of these two videos. Still dialing in the torso angle. Will add weight next session.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast