starting strength gym

Thread: Mid-Set Cramp Questions

Default Mid-Set Cramp Questions

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Occasionally during squats I’ll get a cramp in my left trap, or during the bench I’ll cramp on the outside of my left hip. My question is, should i rack the bar and stretch out the muscle, or push through and complete the lift? Its only a distraction, since the muscle isnt directly involved in the lift, but damn, is it annoying and aches for days if i push through. Also, is it just a hydration / electrolyte issue, or could there be other causes?
    Thanks!

If it becomes a safety issue where you're going to drop the bar on your face during the bench, then you should probably re-rack it.
    What part of the trap is cramping during the squat?

The hip cramp on bench is a common one. Try some soy-boy onnit FRC shit in between sets like the 90/90 hip drill and it should ease up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    If it becomes a safety issue where you're going to drop the bar on your face during the bench, then you should probably re-rack it.
    What part of the trap is cramping during the squat?
    The top of the trap is where I cramp up, just above where the bar is resting. Ill also get cramps in the top of my forearm near the elbow if I have my wrist bent back. Again, these aren't safety issues, just distractions i don't think i can afford in a squat.

Post a video of your squat when you get a chance. It could be something just needs adjusting on the setup.

Have you tried different foot positions on the bench? Do you have short legs and struggle to keep your feet flat on the ground.
    F it, post a video of that too where we can see your whole body.