starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check - bar lean on one side

Default Squat form check - bar lean on one side

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Salutations,
    I was hoping to get some input on a problem I can't fix for the life of me.
    So the bar rolls up on one side, causing that side to lean forward at the bottom of the squat.
    No matter how I try to setup, the bar just feels uneven on my back, as if my right shoulder is a bit higher, but even if i force it down, the same problems arise.
    The right elbow is also looser than the right one and balancing elbow height is a struggle every set.
    All this causes swaying of the bar that gets very distracting at higher weights and causes GM, knee slide and can kill hip drive too.
    It happens less if I get more upright and let my knees go forward more, but this would be incorrect technique?
    This also causes my right knee to feel "wobblier" than my left.
    YouTube - Taken from the left side, notice the bar moving back
    YouTube - From right, bar moves forward
    Unfortunately, I can't take a picture of the bar on my back, I train by myself and too socially awkward to ask someone, but judging by the red lines on my back after a sesh, the bar seems to be in the correct position (between pointy part on shoulder and rear delt)

This is not apparent in the videos, since they were shot from the wrong angle. I suspect you may be raising one of your elbows as you come up, which one I can't tell from your description. Stop doing that.

The right side, the one from vid#2 is the leaning side. The bar moves diagonally down, especially on the 1st rep. Really sorry for the crappy camera angle but it's the only one I can film from.
    The lean occurs as I come down, and the "pin elbows to sides" que doesn't appear to fix it.

It's possible the bar may be too high on your back. You're not able to keep your upper back tight and the bar rolls forward.
    To Rip's point, we can't tell for certain because of the angle. Need a wider angle from the rear.
    You could tell someone that you have a personal coach that asked for a video or photo from behind, and ask if they'd help.

Pete, you don't understand:

Quote Originally Posted by Lorro View Post
    Unfortunately, I can't take a picture of the bar on my back, I train by myself and too socially awkward to ask someone,
    You must work around his problems. That's what he's paying you for.

starting strength coach development program
    Welp. I should consider a career change. Selling tripods could be lucrative.