starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Form check

Default Squat Form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    YouTube

So, 5 9ish, 185, 36 yo. I've lifted since college with no real structure. Started LP at the beginning of November, just wanted a form check, really like all the information you guys have provided and your honest assessments.

Hey John
    Please don't film from the floor level. Reference the sticky at the top of the forum for filming the lifts. Also, make sure we can see as much of you as possible, so no bench in the way.
    Narrow your stance so your heels are under your armpits. Lock your eyes on the ground 4ft. in front of you and don't move them. Send your ass back away from you feet. When you fix the stance, it will be easier for you to get the knees out and keep them there. More hip drive and less chest drive. The eye position fix will help.
    Work on that for now.
    Good luck.

Thanks for the response, I will try to get someone else to film it next time and work on your suggestions.

NP. Just slide that bench over to the same angle and use a shoe or something to lean the phone against.

YouTube

So, just did these, thoughts? Narrowed a bit, and tried to keep the head down and knees out. Should I keep trying to add 10lb per session until I start failing, or drop to 5? Again, thank you for your time and hope the video is a little better.

Lower your rack height! When the weight starts to feel heavy to you, you will have neither the energy nor desire to get up on your toes to re-rack the bar. For safety's sake, it's always better to have those racks lower than you think you need them.

These are right at parallel, so you're missing depth. I wouldn't take any jumps until you can get all five reps below parallel for all your work sets. It's weird because you had the depth on your first video. I'd like to be able to see your knees next time, so I would just set up a camera on a bench if possible so Spielberg doesn't mess up your shot and shake the camera while he's trying to record you. Bring your stance in a little more and get your knees out harder.
    Must you squat in running shoes? They're like squatting on a mattress. You'd be better off with work boots or dress shoes if you're not going to purchase lifting shoes.
    Also, if that gym has decent, straight bar with a center knurl, try and use that to squat.
    Last edited by Pete Troupos; 12-18-2019 at 10:02 PM.

Lowered rack height, put on some dress boots(weightlifting shoes ordered) tried to use my shoe as a visual cue and narrowed stance a bit more, looks like my knees didnt go out enough...thoughts?

YouTube

Both bars have center knurling, this one is just prettier

starting strength coach development program
    Much better depth.
    I think you can bring the stance in just a hair more. When you set up, lift your chest and pull your elbows down so the entire spine is rigid from hips to bar. Take big breath into the belly and brace hard. Be patient and make sure you're braced properly.
    As you start, send your ass straight back behind you as you get your nipples pointed at the ground, and try and touch the spotter arms on either side with your knees. Keep the knees pinned out as you drive the hips up out of the bottom. Head down, eyes locked on a small target.
    Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast