• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Male, 41, 5-10, 173

Deadlift 380x5

Video: YouTube

Making progress but just wanted to check in

Things I see:
    -distance between bar and knee at mid pull. Looks more like knees moving back than bar drifting out.
    -pulling before fully set and tight last 2 reps

Thanks!

Hey James,

I agree with both of the things you noticed. It may be helpful to wear some long socks for some proprioceptive feedback for the bar drifting forward. Yes, take another half second with the squeeze before the pull too. Other things:

You can tighten up the breathing/lockout situation. Try to breathe only at the bottom and not let air out at the top. Additionally, stand taller at the top, locking out knees and hips fully.

Nice work.

Ryan

Thank you, sir.

All good points and I'll give them a try.

Re: letting air out at the top, I tend to get light headed/dizzy on deads, especially if holding my breath longer. I've never blacked out, but it has been bad enough where I need to stand up and clear my head before attempting the next rep. Any thoughts on dealing with that?

Thanks again!

By the way, I've recently learned that I have been holding too much air in my face/head on a valsalva as opposed to below the glottis (on all lifts). So maybe fixing that will fix the lightheadedness.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    By the way, I've recently learned that I have been holding too much air in my face/head on a valsalva as opposed to below the glottis (on all lifts). So maybe fixing that will fix the lightheadedness.
    Yes that may help to work on that. I've had several people get lightheaded on DL over the years. Seems to be pretty random and not many "solutions."

Ryan,

Here is the next session at 385x3+fail+1+1. Took 3-4 days off over Christmas and was camping (not sleeping/eating well) for a few of those, so that probably explains the failure. I'd appreciate any follow up comments.

Video: YouTube

Reps 1 and 2, I think I addressed most of what you pointed out before. Kept bar closer, stood tall, and kept air in.
    Rep 3 came of the floor wonky and didn't feel or look as good. I think the plates on my right shifted to my right when I dropped rep 2.
    I failed rep 4- entered the time warp where I was sure I pulled on it for 7 seconds, but it turned out to be more like 2 seconds
    Came back and pulled a single after 15 seconds. Looked decent but I was spent.
    Came back about 2 min later and got fifth rep (off camera). Went fine.

Things I'm still seeing:
    -not dragging my shorts as much on my right/supinated side. Never noticed that before, so may be able to fix it by being aware of it.
    -still could use another half second to get tighter and squeeze off the floor.

Thanks!
    -James

Usually days off/holidays/camping/eating changes will affect lifting so yes that likely accounts for the missed reps. More of a side view would be helpful for DL. Maybe 15 degrees in front of direct side. Can see more things from that angle. Lock out can still be taller. Set the bar all the way down, don't drop it. I would DL in weightlifting shoes, flat soles(like Chuck Taylors), or just socks. Not running shoes

Thanks, Ryan!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Thanks, Ryan!
    I remember Rip saying one thing about the supinate grip side using alternating grips. Said the weight tended to move forward which would make sense in your case. It would be countered by the weight being pulled inward on your pronated grip side. This may explain the reason you are seeing the shorts ride up on the pronated grip side. I’m sure a coach could confirm or clarify this...

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Gbraddock View Post
    I remember Rip saying one thing about the supinate grip side using alternating grips. Said the weight tended to move forward which would make sense in your case. It would be countered by the weight being pulled inward on your pronated grip side. This may explain the reason you are seeing the shorts ride up on the pronated grip side. I’m sure a coach could confirm or clarify this...
    While the bar path can certainly be altered a bit by the mixed grip, I'm not sure that is what is actually happening here. James said he had not noticed it before. On rep #1 the shorts slide up on both sides, representing a most likely straight bar path, however the shorts on the left side remain a bit folded over. So on the subsequent reps when the left side comes up, is it due to the mixed grip affecting the bar path or due to the shorts being folded over more from the previous rep? We need a bigger sample size