starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Starting a NLP after Christmas, but I wanted some feedback on my form for my squats before I get things rolling. This is a set of 5 @ 175lbs. Even after watching lots of the other videos on here and reading coaches' feedback, I'm having a hard time figuring out if the squats are deep enough. The weird sounds on rep 1 and 5 are just my knee. It's done that since I can remember. Any and all input would be appreciated! Want to make sure I'm addressing any issues I have with this lift right out of the gate.

YouTube

They look deep enough. But in your research, did you understand the difference between a low bar squat, and a high bar squat? You are doing the latter in the video.

Charlocity is correct. These are fine looking, deep enough, high bar squats

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Charlocity is correct. These are fine looking, deep enough, high bar squats
    Ugh! Alright, back to the books and videos. Sad part is, this was after I had already made adjustments to my form.

So, bar is too high and chest is too far up?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlocity2 View Post
    They look deep enough. But in your research, did you understand the difference between a low bar squat, and a high bar squat? You are doing the latter in the video.
    I guess I don’t, since that is my attempt at a low bar squat. Back to the book.

Update after watching and re-watching the squat instruction videos on the Starting Strength YouTube channel. This is a set of 5@155lbs and my first day of the NLP. After comparing my video to the Starting Strength video, I'm thinking I'm still high bar squatting. But I can't figure out what needs to be changed in order to get my body into the position from the Starting Strength video. Any input in that area would be greatly appreciated!

YouTube

The bar goes directly below the spine of the scapula(lower than you have it), and yes these are still high bar squats and way too deep. I would suggest reading the actual Blue Book. If you are anywhere near a SSC, go in for a session and many many things will be fixed in a short period of time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    The bar goes directly below the spine of the scapula(lower than you have it), and yes these are still high bar squats and way too deep. I would suggest reading the actual Blue Book. If you are anywhere near a SSC, go in for a session and many many things will be fixed in a short period of time!
    Thanks, Ryan! I have the blue book. I’ve read it, and I keep it with me to reference while lifting. Also watched the squat videos multiple times, both the how to and the bar position supplemental video. I understand how my body is supposed to look when low bar squatting, but I can’t seem to make it happen when the bar is on my back.

I know the bar needs to sit lower, but it doesn’t feel locked in if I carry it any lower than I am. You’re probably right. I’m going to have to go see a coach to get the technique problems fixed in real time since I can’t seem to even get close on my own. Appreciate you taking the time to look at the video for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Shea Frazier View Post
    I know the bar needs to sit lower, but it doesn’t feel locked in if I carry it any lower than I am.
    Narrow your grip and lower your elbows.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Narrow your grip and lower your elbows.
    I'm still struggling to get a handle on what I'm doing differently than others when it comes to squatting. I'm planning on working with the people at FiveX3 in Baltimore at the beginning of April, but I'm not going to stop my NLP between now and then. So, in the mean time, I'd really like to figure out ways I can correct what I'm doing to get closer to where I'm supposed to be. I know it's because of a lack of exposure to the lifts being done correctly, but can someone break down the difference between what I'm doing in this picture (high bar squatting) and what is going on in the second picture (good to go according to Rip's reply). I just can't seem to see any real significant differences between the two. Really appreciate any and all input. Thanks!

My Squat.jpgLow Bar Squat.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast