starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Check 12/23

Default Squat Check 12/23

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Howdy,

I'm a 31 years old, 6'2", 210 pounds. I'm a few months in on my NLP and my squat is struggling at around 275. I had reset to 255 and have now built back up to 265.

This is my second work set at 265, and I could only get four out.

From seeing myself for the first time, it's pretty clear the mirror is a bigger distraction than I thought, and I need to keep my head down. My feet don't appear to be at the 30 degree angle I think they are in and also it seems my knees could be going further out.

I know I have more potential on my squat numbers than this but I feel my form has me stuck. I know I am missing something in the hip drive but cannot pin point it.

I'm close enough to Dallas that I plan on getting some coaching from Brent Carter after the holidays.

Also this was my last day at the Y, and I'll have much better conditions in a garage gym.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

YouTube

Hey

You're spot-on with the hip drive critique. You lift your chest up almost immediately every rep. It's most likely because you're upper back isn't tight at all. If you lean over with a soft upper back, the bar will likely start to roll up. The body's natural reaction is to correct this to keep the bar from rolling up your neck, so you lift the chest reflexively and the hip drive dies a horrible death.
    Make sure the bar is secure on your back, and lift the chest up while you pull the elbows down so the entire spine is rigid. If you can keep the bar from rolling around, you're more likely to stay in the hips on the way up.

Also, give yourself a target to stare at on the ground so you're not tempted to lift your head and chest.

Shoot from a higher angle next time so we can see the bar across your back.

Thank you for the advice, I'm up to 275 and the weight is getting hard for me, is my form okay to go up in weight to failure, or has my form collapsed enough that I need to reset my weight to around 250 and work my way back up?

YouTube