starting strength gym

Thread: Back Pain From Squat / 115 lb Squat Form Check

Default Back Pain From Squat / 115 lb Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I’m experiencing pain I believe is due to my squat technique. I only get it when I squat, I’ve isolated it from other work outs, and I really feel it the day after I train. It lasts for a couple of days, long enough to be present the next time I train. It’s in my lower left back.

I started a linear progression program before and got my (high bar) squat up to 160 lbs, but took a break at the advice of my doctor due to the pain. This was about 2 months ago. Took some pain killers and bought and read the blue book in the meantime.

Here I am starting again, this time lighter, but I’m still experiencing pain. It looks like I have a slight lean to one side, but I can’t target the problem and I’m not sure if that’s causing the pain or if it’s due to the pain.

Thank you for any advice!! I’m considering working with a coach if that’s the best way to proceed. I just want to get my numbers up already!

Height: 5’ 10”
    Weight: 203 lbs
    Squat: 115 lbs

YouTube

Hey Casey

Are you clear on how to set your low back and get tight before you squat? It doesn't look like you're able to keep the lumbar locked in place and are just loosely dropping into the bottom.
    Search "low back position control" in our youtube channel for reference.
    Get the low back set, and make sure you're getting the trunk tight before the descent on each rep. Lower yourself with more control.
    You can bring your stance in about an inch on either side to get the heels under the shoulders. This will also help.
    Last edited by Pete Troupos; 12-24-2019 at 08:26 AM.