starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squat grip/bar placement check - excessive pain in elbows/biceps

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Pete recommended the athletic tape to me for my gym’s bars do not have a center knurl. I tried wrapping the bar in some 1.5 inch white athletic tape I use for Jiu Jitsu and it is the BOMB! I didn’t realize how much I was struggling to keep bar position before. It adheres and peels off easily with no residue left behind.

I do realize certain shirts HELP with keeping the bar secure. BUT I can tell you for ME, the athletic tape is money!

Thanks Pete and I hope it helps you too.

Quote Originally Posted by over40 View Post
    Dig it out of the dirty clothes pile, lift, return it to the dirty clothes pile One of the many reasons I lift in my own garage, I can stink.
    Welp, to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by over40 View Post
    I did add the athletic tape to the bar as well. Lifted this morning and between the two the bar wasn't going to move at all. Dropped my working sets 25# to get use to the form adjustments. About 75% less soreness/pain than before, just trying hard to not revert to past movement patterns.
    Glad to hear it's feeling better.

Quote Originally Posted by Gbraddock View Post
    Pete recommended the athletic tape to me for my gym’s bars do not have a center knurl. I tried wrapping the bar in some 1.5 inch white athletic tape I use for Jiu Jitsu and it is the BOMB! I didn’t realize how much I was struggling to keep bar position before. It adheres and peels off easily with no residue left behind.

I do realize certain shirts HELP with keeping the bar secure. BUT I can tell you for ME, the athletic tape is money!

Thanks Pete and I hope it helps you too.
    I'm glad it helped. To clarify, I'd prefer a center knurl to the tape. But I get sometimes we have to lift in gyms with shitty bars. Veterinary/self-adhering tape is good too.

I just finished dealing with this. the problem started when my LP approached about 190lbs, and then I was stuck there as the pain got worse. Did several resets to to avail.

I read everything I could find on these forums and other weight training forums, you tube videos etc. and though basic trial and error I finally found something that worked for me. I have also been using athletic tape on my bar while a save up for a new one with center knurling. It's a hassle because I end up removing the tape each time for dead-lifts or there is too much friction on the legs. But I digress...
    I then focus on exact bar placement, keeping shoulders and upper back tight, elbows in close, but then I take a wider grip with forearms out, hands loose, thumbs on top, pressing down lightly with the heel of my palm. In this position the bar feels rock solid on my back and there is no stress on the elbows. This works for me but I have relatively long forearms as opposed to upper arm, so may not work for everyone, which seems to be the problem with this issue, the fix could be very individual specific. Finally I'm moving forward again, squat is up to 225 and the pain has steadily dissipated (it takes a while).

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    I just finished dealing with this. the problem started when my LP approached about 190lbs, and then I was stuck there as the pain got worse. Did several resets to to avail.

I read everything I could find on these forums and other weight training forums, you tube videos etc. and though basic trial and error I finally found something that worked for me. I have also been using athletic tape on my bar while a save up for a new one with center knurling. It's a hassle because I end up removing the tape each time for dead-lifts or there is too much friction on the legs. But I digress...
    I then focus on exact bar placement, keeping shoulders and upper back tight, elbows in close, but then I take a wider grip with forearms out, hands loose, thumbs on top, pressing down lightly with the heel of my palm. In this position the bar feels rock solid on my back and there is no stress on the elbows. This works for me but I have relatively long forearms as opposed to upper arm, so may not work for everyone, which seems to be the problem with this issue, the fix could be very individual specific. Finally I'm moving forward again, squat is up to 225 and the pain has steadily dissipated (it takes a while).
    I just make a center knurl with the tape. Basically like the same width as if it were knurled. No need to run it all the way across the smooth part of the bar. I never have issues with tape touching my legs on deads.

Hope it helps

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Gbraddock View Post
    I just make a center knurl with the tape. Basically like the same width as if it were knurled. No need to run it all the way across the smooth part of the bar. I never have issues with tape touching my legs on deads.

Hope it helps
    I will certainly give that a try.... simple, don't know why I didn't think of that ...duh
    Thanks a bunch, it'll save me some tape (<:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12